Finding the weight supported and at what angle

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a pulley system with ropes supporting a crate. The ropes have a maximum tensile force of 125 and are at angles of Phi = 55.0 and theta with the horizontal. The maximum weight the system can support and the angle theta for equilibrium are being calculated. The equation needed for solving this problem is not known at this time. The person discussing the problem is considering breaking it down into components and using a coordinate system.
Colts

Homework Statement

http://session.masteringengineering.com/problemAsset/1119613/27/1119613_001.jpg

Rope BCA passes through a pulley at point C and supports a crate at point A. Rope segment CD supports the pulley and is attached to an eye anchor embedded in a wall. Rope segment BC creates an angle of Phi = 55.0 with the floor and rope segment CD creates an angle theta with the horizontal. If both ropes BCA and CD can support a maximum tensile force Tmax = 125 , what is the maximum weight Wmax of the crate that the system can support? What is the angle theta required for equilibrium?

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need to break it down in the components and go from there, but I am not sure how to factor in the max tensile strength. I would like to use and x-y coordinate system starting at the pulley with positive x going left and positive y going up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vector sum of AC and BC equal to CD.
|AC|=|BC|

Last edited:
Sorry, but could you give me a little more direction?

FAQ: Finding the weight supported and at what angle

1. How do you calculate the weight supported at a given angle?

To calculate the weight supported at a given angle, you will need to know the force applied (usually in Newtons) and the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. You can then use the formula W = F x d x sinθ, where W is the weight supported, F is the applied force, d is the distance, and θ is the angle.

2. What factors affect the weight supported at a certain angle?

The weight supported at a certain angle is affected by several factors, including the force applied, the distance from the pivot point, and the angle at which the force is applied. Other factors such as the material and structure of the object or surface being supported can also play a role.

3. How does the angle of support affect the weight that can be supported?

The angle of support directly affects the weight that can be supported. As the angle increases, the component of the force acting to support the weight decreases. This means that the weight that can be supported will also decrease as the angle increases.

4. What is the relationship between weight supported and angle of support?

The relationship between weight supported and angle of support is an inverse relationship. As the angle increases, the weight that can be supported decreases. This means that the weight supported is inversely proportional to the angle of support.

5. How can you determine the maximum weight that can be supported at any angle?

To determine the maximum weight that can be supported at any angle, you will need to use the formula Wmax = F x d, where Wmax is the maximum weight that can be supported, F is the applied force, and d is the distance from the pivot point. This formula assumes that the angle of support is 90 degrees, which is the most efficient angle for weight support.

Back