First Law of Thermodynamics and Melting-Ice Scenario?

In summary: In this case, the ice cube and any water that forms from it is the closed system. The system is very well defined as the ice cube and any water that forms from it are the same exact thing.
Ortanul
In order to explain the change in energy of an ice cube removed from a refrigerator and placed on the kitchen counter, I consider it as a closed system (can exchange only energy but not matter).
For the first law of thermodynamics, ∆U = Q+W. I'm pretty sure that the sign of Q is positive due to the temperature difference that results in the energy transfer. What I'm not sure about is the work. In the process that ice melts, I figure there might be a increase in gravitational potential energy because its center of gravity descends, so should the sign of W be positive, too?
I'm also not sure about the nature of those three types of energy. I guess the nature of internal energy is the microscopic motion of the particles in the system, but what about the other two?
Any help would be appreciated!

Science news on Phys.org
As you are writing the question, to me, it seems not totally defined: what is the system?
For example, you are talking about an ice cube resting on a counter..., and the ice
melting. So, presumable you are considering the counter top, as part of the system, and likely
the air around the ice cube, etc... So, the question to me is ill defined..

Thermo dynamics deals with closed systems... Yours is not closed, so you need to try and understand what
a closed system is, as far as thermo goes..

ken schatten said:
As you are writing the question, to me, it seems not totally defined: what is the system?
For example, you are talking about an ice cube resting on a counter..., and the ice
melting. So, presumable you are considering the counter top, as part of the system, and likely
the air around the ice cube, etc... So, the question to me is ill defined..

Thermo dynamics deals with closed systems... Yours is not closed, so you need to try and understand what
a closed system is, as far as thermo goes..
Thanks for your reply!
And I'm still confused about the definition of closed system. May I consider the ice cube itself as a closed system while the counter and air as the surroundings?

As the ice cube melts, heat moves from the environment into the system and the internal energy of the water increases as it changes from ice to liquid. Work is done on water by the gravitational field of the Earth, but this is a small effect compared to the heat transfer.

Likes nasu
Khashishi said:
As the ice cube melts, heat moves from the environment into the system and the internal energy of the water increases as it changes from ice to liquid. Work is done on water by the gravitational field of the Earth, but this is a small effect compared to the heat transfer.
Thank you!
And do you think the ice cube itself can be counted as a closed system?

Ortanul said:
Thank you!
And do you think the ice cube itself can be counted as a closed system?
Yes. Yes. Yes! The ice cube plus then any water that forms from it is your closed system. This system is very well defined.

A closed system is one in which no mass enters of leaves.

Likes Ortanul

Related to First Law of Thermodynamics and Melting-Ice Scenario?

1. What is the First Law of Thermodynamics and how does it relate to the melting-ice scenario?

The First Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental principle of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In the melting-ice scenario, the law applies as the energy from the surroundings is transferred to the ice, causing it to melt and the temperature to increase.

2. What is the conservation of energy and how does it apply to the melting-ice scenario?

The conservation of energy is another name for the First Law of Thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. In the melting-ice scenario, the law applies as the energy from the surroundings is converted into thermal energy, causing the ice to melt and the temperature to increase.

3. Why does ice melt when energy is transferred to it?

Ice melts when energy is transferred to it because the added energy increases the temperature of the ice, causing it to reach its melting point. At this point, the energy is used to break the bonds between the molecules in the ice, causing it to change from a solid to a liquid state.

4. How does the First Law of Thermodynamics explain why the temperature of the melted ice does not increase as it continues to absorb energy?

The First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In the melting-ice scenario, as the ice continues to absorb energy, the added energy is used to break the bonds between the molecules and increase the temperature of the surrounding environment. As a result, the temperature of the melted ice does not increase because the energy is being distributed throughout the system.

5. Can the First Law of Thermodynamics be violated in the melting-ice scenario?

No, the First Law of Thermodynamics cannot be violated in the melting-ice scenario. The law is a fundamental principle of physics and has been proven through countless experiments and observations. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted, and this applies to all physical processes, including the melting of ice.