For what frequency does the intensity have a minimum?

In summary, the two speakers, A and B, are separated by 1 meter and point P is 4 meters away from speaker B. The minimum frequency that person P hears when the sound intensity decreases and increases is 1.3 kHz, 4.1 kHz, 6.9 kHz, etc. This can be found using the formula f(n) = n*v/d, where d is the path difference of 0.123 m. To determine the wavelengths that work, the path difference should be an odd multiple of half the wavelength. The relationship between the maximum and minimum intensity can be estimated by assuming a spheric wave propagation and neglecting the effects from the surroundings. The speed of sound can be set to 340
Firben
Two speakers A and B are separated by 1 meter, the point P is 4 m away from speaker B. If P is a person for what frequency does he hear that the intensity have a minimum?. (The listener hear that the sound intensity reduces and increases).I don't know the distance from P to B. (They form a right-angled triangle)

B------A
.-------P

(1.0 m)^2+(4.0 m)^2 = BP^2

BP = 4.123 m

The distance from Poit P to B is 4.123 m

how can I determine the wavelength ?

The answer should be: The minimum occurs for 1.3 kHz, 4.1 kHz, 6.9 kHz,...

Should i use this formula ?

f(n) = n*v/d

The path difference is d=(4.123-4.00)= 0.123 m

Physics news on Phys.org
For destructive interference to happen, the path difference between the sound wave from A and the sound wave from B should be an odd multiple of half the wavelength. You know what this path difference is, so you can find the wavelengths that work.

Estimate the relationship between the maximum and minimum intensity. Assume that there is a spheric wavepropogation and the effect from the surrounding kan be neglected. The speed of sound can be set to 340 m/s. The intensity decreases with 1/r^2 ie the intensity on the wave r m from the source is I0/r^2 where I0(zero) are the intensity on 1m from the distance from the source.

How can i found the intensity and what's aboute the max and min intensity, what value should i use for that ?

Related to For what frequency does the intensity have a minimum?

1. What does "frequency does the intensity have a minimum" mean?

When discussing the frequency of a wave, it refers to how many times the wave repeats per second. The intensity of a wave is the strength or power of the wave. "For what frequency does the intensity have a minimum" means at what frequency does the wave have the lowest intensity or strength.

2. Why is it important to know the frequency at which the intensity has a minimum?

Knowing the frequency at which the intensity has a minimum can provide valuable information about the behavior and properties of the wave. It can also help in optimizing the use of the wave for specific applications.

3. How is the frequency at which the intensity has a minimum determined?

The frequency at which the intensity has a minimum can be determined through experimentation and analysis of the wave's behavior. This can involve adjusting the frequency of the wave and measuring the intensity at each frequency to determine where the minimum occurs.

4. Can waves of different types have the same frequency at which the intensity has a minimum?

Yes, waves of different types can have the same frequency at which the intensity has a minimum. This is because the behavior and properties of the wave, rather than its type, determine the frequency at which the intensity has a minimum.

5. How does the frequency at which the intensity has a minimum affect real-world applications?

The frequency at which the intensity has a minimum can greatly impact the effectiveness and efficiency of real-world applications that utilize waves. For example, in communication systems, knowing the frequency at which the intensity has a minimum can help determine the optimal frequency to use for clear and reliable communication.