Give a formula the open unit disk

In summary, the task is to give a formula for two partial derivatives in the open unit disk D = {(x,y)|x^2 + y^2 < 1}: (a) \frac{\partial \sum ^{inf}_{n=0} (xy)^{n}}{\partial x} and (b) \frac{\partial (e^{x+y} \int ^{y}_{x} e^{-t} dt)}{\partial y}. The first step for (a) is to use the formula for the sum of a geometric series with r=(xy) and for (b), evaluate the integral and take the partial derivative using the product rule.
nhartung

Homework Statement

In the open unit disk D = {(x,y)|x2 + y2 < 1} give a forumla for:

(a) [tex]\frac{\partial \sum ^{inf}_{n=0} (xy) ^{n}}{\partial x}[/tex]

(b) [tex]\frac{\partial (e^{x+y} \int ^{y}_{x} e^{-t} dt)}{\partial y}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok this is on my exam review sheet and he gave us the solutions to go along with it.. I don't know if I wasn't paying attention in class or what but I don't remember doing anything like this.

His first step for a is [tex]\sum ^{inf}_{n=0} (xy)^{n} = \frac{1}{1 - xy}[/tex] if xy < 1 (But for all (x,y)[tex]\in[/tex] D xy < 1

I'm already confused at this point. Can someone please let me know what is going on here? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The sum of r^n is 1/(1-r) if |r|<1. Now put r=(xy). It's just a geometric series. For the second one just evaluate the integral and take the partial derivative using the product rule etc. There's nothing really special going on there.

FAQ: Give a formula the open unit disk

What is an open unit disk?

An open unit disk is a set of points in the complex plane that are all of distance less than 1 from the origin. It can also be described as the set of all complex numbers with a magnitude less than 1.

What is the formula for an open unit disk?

The formula for an open unit disk is |z| < 1, where z is a complex number with a real and imaginary component (z = a + bi).

How do you graph an open unit disk?

To graph an open unit disk, plot all points in the complex plane that satisfy the formula |z| < 1. This will result in a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin.

What is the difference between an open unit disk and a closed unit disk?

An open unit disk includes all points that are less than 1 unit away from the origin, while a closed unit disk includes all points that are less than or equal to 1 unit away from the origin. In other words, a closed unit disk includes the boundary points that are excluded in an open unit disk.

How is an open unit disk used in mathematics?

An open unit disk is often used in complex analysis and geometry, as it is a fundamental shape that helps understand the properties of complex numbers. It can also be used to define regions in the complex plane for various functions and equations.

Back