Going to CERN in December can anybody help?

• Thread starter prankster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cern
In summary, CERN is a renowned research organization focused on studying the fundamental building blocks of the universe. Its most famous feature is the Large Hadron Collider, which has allowed for groundbreaking discoveries. Visitors can take tours, visit exhibitions, attend lectures and talks, and potentially meet and interact with scientists. CERN is open to visitors in December, but availability may be limited. It is recommended to check the website for updated information and to plan in advance.
prankster
hey guys. I'm getting together with some friends in Switzerland in December. We thought it would be cool to see CERN and maybe catch a glimpse of the LHC. does anyone have any idea how we could go about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can book tours around CERN (http://outreach.web.cern.ch/outreach/) though, from looking at the website, it seems like you may be leaving it a little late. Probably it's best to email someone there to enquire.

Sure, I can definitely help! Visiting CERN is a unique and exciting experience. To start, you will need to book a guided tour through CERN's official website. These tours are available in multiple languages and can be booked up to three months in advance. Additionally, you can also attend one of their public lectures or events, which are free and open to the public. Keep in mind that the LHC is not always running, so it may not be possible to see it in action during your visit. However, you can still visit the exhibition area and learn about the cutting-edge research happening at CERN. I hope this helps and enjoy your trip to Switzerland!

FAQ: Going to CERN in December can anybody help?

1. What is CERN and why is it important?

CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research) is a world-renowned research organization that is dedicated to studying the fundamental building blocks of the universe. It is known for being home to the Large Hadron Collider, the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator, which has allowed scientists to make groundbreaking discoveries about the nature of matter and the origin of the universe.

2. What can I expect to see and do at CERN?

Visitors to CERN can take guided tours of the facilities, including the Large Hadron Collider and other experiments. You can also visit the Microcosm exhibition, which provides an interactive and educational experience about CERN's research. Additionally, there are lectures and talks given by CERN scientists, as well as opportunities to meet and interact with researchers from all over the world.

3. Is it possible to visit CERN in December?

Yes, CERN is open to visitors all year round, including in December. However, it is important to note that availability for certain tours or activities may be limited during this time due to holiday schedules or maintenance work. It is recommended to check the CERN website for updated information on visiting in December.

4. Can I meet any of the scientists working at CERN?

While it is not guaranteed, there are opportunities to meet and interact with CERN scientists during your visit. Some of the tours and activities may include talks or Q&A sessions with researchers, and there may also be opportunities for informal discussions. Keep in mind that the scientists at CERN are often very busy with their work, so it is not always possible to meet with them individually.

5. How can I plan my visit to CERN in December?

To plan your visit to CERN in December, it is recommended to check the CERN website for information on available tours and activities, as well as any potential closures or changes in schedule. You can also book tours and activities in advance to ensure your spot. It is also a good idea to familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations for visitors at CERN, such as appropriate attire and photography restrictions.