Graphing ODE Integral Curves on the TI-89

• Calculators
  • Thread starter amcavoy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Odes Ti-89
In summary, the TI-89 has a built-in function called "deSolve" that allows for graphing ODE integral curves by inputting the differential equation and initial conditions. Multiple integral curves can be graphed on the same graph using this function, or the "Parametric" function can be used for multiple curves at once. The range of the x and y-axis on the graph can be changed by pressing the "Window" button. The graph can be saved by pressing the "F3" button and selecting "Save Graph". While the TI-89 is a powerful tool for graphing integral curves, it may have limitations for extremely complex or large systems of ODEs.
amcavoy
Does anyone know how to graph the integral curves / slope fields of ODEs on the 89? I don't have a manual for mine, and suppose a few of you are quite familiar with it.

Thanks in advance.

Computer science news on Phys.org
MODE=>Graph=>Diff Equations
DIAMOND=>F1
y1'=5t
yi1=1

or you can just solve for the equation directly like this:

desolve(y''=(-g/l)y',t,y)

What is the Yi1 for?

Thanks for the response.

Y intial condition 1

Alright sounds good. I appreciate it dduardo.

FAQ: Graphing ODE Integral Curves on the TI-89

1. How can I graph ODE integral curves on the TI-89?

The TI-89 has a built-in function called "deSolve" that allows you to graph ODE integral curves. Simply input your differential equation and the initial conditions, and the graph will be generated.

2. Can I graph multiple integral curves on the same graph?

Yes, you can graph multiple integral curves on the same graph by using the "deSolve" function multiple times, each with different initial conditions. You can also use the "Parametric" function to graph multiple integral curves at once.

3. How do I change the range of the x and y-axis on the graph?

You can change the range of the x and y-axis on the graph by pressing the "Window" button on your TI-89. From there, you can adjust the minimum and maximum values for the x and y-axis to better fit your integral curves.

4. Can I save my graph of ODE integral curves on the TI-89?

Yes, you can save your graph by pressing the "F3" button on your TI-89 and selecting "Save Graph". You can then give your graph a name and it will be saved in the "Graphs" folder.

5. Are there any limitations to graphing ODE integral curves on the TI-89?

While the TI-89 is a powerful tool for graphing integral curves, there are some limitations. It may not be able to graph extremely complex or large systems of ODEs, and it may not be as accurate as using more advanced software programs.