Gravitational Acceleration Question

In summary, the maximum gravitational attraction between Sir Newton and the apple is 4.002*10^-10 when the apple is 1m from Sir Newton's center of mass. When the apple hits Sir Newton's head, there is still a gravitational attraction, but there is not enough information to determine the value.
jb2000tj

Homework Statement

Calculate the maximum gravitational attraction between a man and an apple, when a) the apple was 1m from the man's center of mass, b) the apple hit his head. (man's mass 60kg, apple mass 100g)

Homework Equations

F=G(m_1)(m_2)/r^2
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the problem using the first equation F=((6.67x10^-11)*(60kg)*(0.1kg))/1 meter which came out to 4.002*10^-10. And for when the apple hit his head I got zero because F=((6.67x10^-11)*(60kg)*(0.1kg))/0. I guess my first question is would there be no gravitational attraction between the apple and the man when they are in contact? Does the gravitational attraction now become a weight force and normal force that cancel out?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello jb2000tj,

Welcome to Physics Forums! :)

jb2000tj said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the maximum gravitational attraction between Sir Newton and the apple, when a) the apple was 1m from Sir Newton’s center of mass, b) the apple hit Sir Newton’s head. (Newton's mass 60kg, apple mass 100g)

Homework Equations

F=G(m_1)(m_2)/r^2
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the problem using the first equation F=((6.67x10^-11)*(60kg)*(0.1kg))/1 meter which came out to 4.002*10^-10.
That is correct, assuming a spherical Sir Newton.

And for when the apple hit his head I got zero because F=((6.67x10^-11)*(60kg)*(0.1kg))/0. I guess my first question is would there be no gravitational attraction between the apple and Newton when they are in contact? Does the gravitational attraction now become a weight force and normal force that cancel out?

It's not zero, but whatever the value is, there isn't enough information to solve the problem. Even if we assume a spherical Sir Newton they would be separated by Sir Newton's radius plus the apple's radius; we would need those radius values. Even if you modeled Sir Newton more realistically, we still need more information.

Related to Gravitational Acceleration Question

What is gravitational acceleration?

Gravitational acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences due to the force of gravity. It is a measure of how quickly an object falls towards the ground under the influence of gravity.

What is the value of gravitational acceleration on Earth?

The value of gravitational acceleration on Earth is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²). This means that for every second an object falls, its velocity will increase by 9.8 m/s.

How does gravitational acceleration vary on different planets?

The value of gravitational acceleration varies on different planets depending on their mass and size. For example, on Mars, the gravitational acceleration is about 3.7 m/s², while on Jupiter, it is about 24.8 m/s².

What is the relationship between mass and gravitational acceleration?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater the gravitational force it exerts. Therefore, the greater the mass of an object, the greater the gravitational acceleration it experiences.

How is gravitational acceleration related to weight?

Gravitational acceleration and weight are directly proportional. This means that as gravitational acceleration increases, weight also increases. This is because weight is the measure of the force of gravity on an object's mass.

Back