Help deriving this Bessel function formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the integral representation of Bessel functions and how to obtain the equation \pi j^m J_m(z)=\int_0^{\pi} \cos(m\theta)e^{+jz\cos\theta}d\theta from the initial equation J_m(z)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}e^{j(z\sin\theta-m\theta)} d\theta through various steps, including using the orthogonality of sine and cosine functions and converting the integral from 0 to 2\pi to 0 to \pi.
yungman
I am studying Bessel Function in my antenna theory book, it said:
[tex]\pi j^n J_n(z)=\int_0^{\pi} \cos(n\phi)e^{+jz\cos\phi}d\phi[/tex]I understand:
[tex]J_m(z)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}e^{j(z\sin\phi-m\theta)} d\theta[/tex]
Can you show me how do I get to
[tex]\pi j^m J_m(z)=\int_0^{\pi} \cos(m\theta)e^{+jz\cos\theta}d\theta[/tex]

I tried ##e^{jm\theta}=\cos m\theta +j\sin m \theta## but it is not easy. Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone please?

I since worked out a few steps: Let ##u=\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta##
[tex]\Rightarrow\;J_m(z)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}e^{j(z\sin\theta-m\theta)} d\theta= \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi} e^{j(z\cos u-m\frac{\pi}{2}+mu)} du=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}e^{j(z\cos u+mu)}e^{-j(m\frac{\pi}{2})} \;du [/tex]
[tex]J_m(z)=\frac{e^{-(jm\frac{\pi}{2})}}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}e^{jz\cos u}[\cos(m\theta)+j\sin(m\theta)]d\theta[/tex]
[tex]e^{-j(\frac{m\pi}{2})}=\cos\frac{m\pi}{2}-j\sin\frac{m\pi}{2}[/tex]

For m=odd, ##\;\cos\frac{m\pi}{2}=0## and ##\;-j\sin\frac{m\pi}{2}=j^{-m}##

For m=even, ##\;j\sin\frac{m\pi}{2}=0##

For m=0 ##\Rightarrow\;\cos\frac{m\pi}{2}=1,\;\;## m=2 ##\Rightarrow\;\cos\frac{m\pi}{2}=-1,\;\;## m=4 ##\Rightarrow\;\cos\frac{m\pi}{2}=-1,\;\;##...Therefore ##\Rightarrow\;\cos\frac{m\pi}{2}=j^m=j^{-m};##

[tex]J_m(z)=\frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}e^{jz\cos u}\cos(m\theta)d\theta+ \frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}e^{jz\cos u}j\sin(m\theta)d\theta[/tex]

Now the final step is to get rid of the second term. Please help.

Thanks

Last edited:
Anyone please?

In the second formula which you have written in OP,break the integral from 0 to pi and from pi to 2pi.Then make a change of variables in second one to get both integrals as 0 to pi.Try to see what comes.

andrien said:
In the second formula which you have written in OP,break the integral from 0 to pi and from pi to 2pi.Then make a change of variables in second one to get both integrals as 0 to pi.Try to see what comes.

Thanks for the reply, I have tried this before:

Let [itex]\theta=\theta-\pi[/itex]
[tex]\sin(m\theta-m\pi)=\sin(m\theta)\cos(m\pi)-\cos(m\theta)\sin(m\pi)=\sin(m\theta)\cos(m\pi)=\sin(m\theta)(-1)^m[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\;\int_{\pi}^{2\pi}e^{jz\cos \theta}j\sin(m\theta)d\theta=\int_0^{\pi} e^{jz\cos( \theta-\pi)} j\sin(m\theta-m\pi)d\theta=\int_{0}^{\pi}e^{-jz\cos \theta}j(-1)^m \sin(m\theta)d\theta[/tex]
I am not seeing it get simpler. Please help.

I tried [tex]\;e^{jz\cos \theta}=\cos (z\cos \theta) +j\sin(z\cos \theta)\;[/tex] Where you need to solve [tex]\;\int_0^{2\pi}[\cos (z\cos \theta) +j\sin(z\cos \theta)][\cos(m\theta)+j\sin(m\theta)] d\theta\;= \int_0^{2\pi}\cos (z\cos \theta)\cos(m\theta) d\theta - \int_0^{2\pi}\sin (z\cos \theta)\sin(m\theta) d\theta [/tex]
Both integrals are not zero only if
[tex]x\cos\theta=m\theta[/tex]
But this really doesn't look right as x is the variable of a Bessel function and x is going to be limited to maximum value of [itex]m\theta[/itex] no matter what.I tried [tex]\;e^{jz\cos \theta}=\sum_0^{\infty}\frac {(jz\cos\theta)^k}{k!}\;[/tex] Where you need to solve [tex]\;\int_0^{2\pi}\sum_0^{\infty}\frac {(jz\cos\theta)^k}{k!}[\cos(m\theta)+j\sin(m\theta)]d\theta[/tex].

Please help, I am getting very desperate after posting this question in all the forums I can find and get no result. I pretty much read all the articles on integral representation of Bessel function I can find on the web( believe me, there are not too many! you can count it with two hands!).

Thanks

Last edited:
All right,I think it has gone real serious.So time to solve the problem.Now from the integral representation you already know of bessel function(second eqn. in op),you can write
eixSinθmeimθ.Jm(x)(This is actually the relation from which the integral representation is derived,also m runs from -∞ to ∞ over all integers).Now put θ→(∏/2+θ)(∏/2-θ will work as well) and you get
eixCosθmimeimθ.Jm(x),now converting it into integral representation(by multiplying e-imθ on both sides and integrating)
Jm(x)=(1/2∏im)∫02∏ ei(xCosθ-mθ) dθ.Half of the problem is solved now.Now write e(imθ)=Cosmθ+iSinmθ and also you will have to use the expansion of Cos(xCosθ) and Sin(xCosθ) which have expansion in terms of Cosnθ(BOTH OF THEM) multiplied by J0,J1 and so on.So on the basis of orthogonality of Sin and Cos over period of 2∏,You will be able to show that Sinmθ will not contribute and hence you will be able to obtain your relation as you want.One other thing is that the integral from 0 to 2∏ can be converted into 0 to ∏ by what I have said before in my earlier post taking into account the expansion of Cos(xCosθ) and Sin(xCosθ).Try to show it yourself now,it is almost done.(I hope it is not a complete solution,if it is then mentors can edit it)

Likes 1 person
I have not check this post as I have worked out the problem
[tex]J_m(z)=\frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta)d\theta+ \frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}e^{jz\cos \theta}j\sin(m\theta)d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}e^{jz\cos \theta}j\sin(m\theta)d\theta=\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}even\;\times\;odd \;d\theta\;=\;0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\;J_m(z)=\frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta)d\theta=\frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\left[\int_0^{\pi}e^{jz\cos u}\cos(m\theta)d\theta+\int_{-\pi}^{0}e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta)d\theta\right][/tex]

The rest is shown in:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=702751

Related to Help deriving this Bessel function formula

1. What is a Bessel function formula?

A Bessel function formula is a mathematical expression used to describe Bessel functions, which are a type of special function that arise in many areas of physics and engineering. They are named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel and are characterized by their oscillatory behavior.

2. How is the Bessel function formula derived?

The Bessel function formula is derived using various mathematical techniques, such as contour integration and power series expansions. It involves solving differential equations known as Bessel's equations, which have solutions that are expressed in terms of Bessel functions.

3. What are the applications of the Bessel function formula?

The Bessel function formula has a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used in problems involving wave propagation, heat transfer, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. It also appears in the solutions of many differential equations in various fields.

4. Can the Bessel function formula be simplified?

The Bessel function formula can be simplified in certain cases, but in general, it is a complex expression involving multiple parameters and infinite series. However, there are some special cases where the formula can be simplified, such as when the parameters have specific values or when approximations are made.

5. Are there any tools or software that can help with deriving the Bessel function formula?

Yes, there are various mathematical software programs and tools that can assist in deriving the Bessel function formula. These include symbolic computation software, numerical analysis packages, and online calculators. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the underlying mathematics and concepts in order to use these tools effectively.