Help Me Understand P-Violation from Lederman's Experiment

• Thread starter Lucretius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the conversation is about the book The Quantum World and a confusing part involving P-violation. The author discusses an experiment by Leon Lederman and others where they created positive pion particles that decayed into a positive muon and its left-handed neutrino form. The confusion arises from the statement that if parity were conserved, half of the neutrinos would be left-handed and half would be right-handed, but the experiment showed that all were single-handed, violating parity conservation. The person asking for help is trying to understand the experiment and its conclusion of P-violation and asks for clarification on the muon's helicity. They suggest looking up the original article for more information.
Lucretius
I just finished reading a book, The Quantum World, but have gone back and looked at some interesting and confusing parts again. One involving P-violation I cannot understand for the life of me and was hoping someone would help me be able to.

The author discussed an experiment by Leon Lederman and others, where they produced positive pion particles in a cyclotron. This particle subsequently decayed into a positive muon and it's neutrino form. The muon is experimentally shown to always be single-handed. The neutrino is of the same left-handedness as the muon.

This next part is what confuses me. He says that "if parity were conserved, half of the neutrinos created would be left-handed and half would be right-handed. Experiment indicates that they all were single-handed (meaniung that parity conservation is as totally violated as it could be!)

I don't get it. If the muon is experimentally shown to be single-handed, why is it a problem that it's neutrino is? Am I reading this wrong? Can the positive muon be both left and right-handed, but the neutrino is only left-handed, and that's the P-violation? I'd like to understand this experiment and it's conclusion of P-violation, but I simply don't with the wording given.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check this link out.
http://ccreweb.org/documents/parity/parity.html
I was unablet to figure out (not on campus- so no access to online articles) which was the correct paper for the Lederman experiment. But a simple search on scholar.google.com should be able to allow you to track down the original article which should clear up any questions you have.
Cheers,
Ryan

If P were conserved, both the mu and the neutrino would have equally rlght and left helicity. Since the pion has spin zero, if the neutrino has only L helicity (violation of P), the muon must also have L helicity.
They talk about measuriing the helicity of the muon, because that is easier to do than for the neutrino.

FAQ: Help Me Understand P-Violation from Lederman's Experiment

1. What is P-Violation?

P-Violation, also known as parity violation, is a phenomenon in particle physics where the laws of physics do not remain unchanged when the direction of space is reversed. This means that the properties of a particle, such as its spin, can behave differently in a left-handed or right-handed coordinate system.

2. How was P-Violation discovered in Lederman's Experiment?

Lederman's experiment, also known as the Wu experiment, involved studying the beta decay of cobalt-60 atoms. It was observed that the electrons emitted during this decay were not evenly distributed in all directions, indicating a violation of parity symmetry. This discovery led to the Nobel Prize in Physics for Tsung-Dao Lee and Chen Ning Yang in 1957.

3. What are the implications of P-Violation?

P-Violation has significant implications in the field of particle physics and our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature. It suggests that there is a fundamental asymmetry in the universe, where certain processes are not equally likely to occur in opposite directions of space.

4. How does P-Violation relate to the Standard Model of Particle Physics?

The Standard Model of Particle Physics is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. P-Violation is a fundamental aspect of this model and is incorporated into the theory through the weak nuclear force, which is responsible for beta decay and other processes that exhibit P-Violation.

5. Are there any practical applications of P-Violation?

While P-Violation may seem like a purely theoretical concept, it has practical applications in various fields. For example, it is used in medical imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans, to create 3D images of the body. It is also being studied for potential applications in quantum computing and cryptography.