Test Hovercraft Equation for Science Fair Project

• Thread starter hitlittle
  • Start date
In summary, the noise is coming from the hovercraft itself and it seems to vary depending on the power source.
hitlittle
I need to test a equation on a hovercraft to prove it correct or incorrect for my science fair project. I would like to test hover height or how much weight the craft can hold. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hitlittle, welcome to PF,

Try P=f/A where P is the pressure of the air under the skirt, f is the force (weight), and A is the area of the hovercraft.

The force needed to support the weight (W):

W= pcu Ac

Where pcu is the cushion pressure and Ac is the effective cushion area. For most current designs, the cushion pressure varies in the range 1.2-3.3 kPa (25-70 lb/ft²).

The power (Pa) required to sustain the air cushion at the peripheral gap is given by:

Pa = hc lcu Dc ( W / Ac ) 3/2 ( 2 / d ) 1/2

Where hc is the clearance height, lcu is the cushion perimeter, d is the density of air and Dc is the discharge coefficient (it varies from 0.5-1.0 depending on wall design but assume it is equal to 0.611 for a skirt with a straight wall). This does not included the fan efficiency and different ducting losses.

For an effective design (i.e. the pressure is used more to support the hovercraft and less to push the air out of the skirt), the following expression should be as high as possible:

Ka = Ac / ( 2 hc lcu Dc )

All of theses equations comes from http://books.google.ca/books?id=Blp...AA#v=onepage&q=theory ground vehicle&f=false" (chapter 8, 2nd ed.).

Last edited by a moderator:
May I know what did you mean by Ac? And what is cushion perimeter?

Appreciate your help. =)

IanLoh said:
May I know what did you mean by Ac? And what is cushion perimeter?

Appreciate your help. =)

Ac is the area of the air cushion as seen from under the vehicle.

So if the air cushion has a circular shape, its area is pi * D² / 4 and its perimeter is pi * D, where D would be the diameter of the air cushion.

What if the hovercraft travels on water? How does it affect the power required?

And is it feasible to hover on water? Let's say, there's only one passenger with a 10 HP engine.

IanLoh said:
What if the hovercraft travels on water? How does it affect the power required?

And is it feasible to hover on water? Let's say, there's only one passenger with a 10 HP engine.

I have to say that I'm not an expert on hovercraft. I just read the one chapter - which is an intro to the subject - in the book "Theory of Ground Vehicles" by J. Y. Wong.

Hovercrafts do travel on water, but I don't know how it affects their power requirement. I think there was something in the book about it, but I'm not sure and I don't have it at hand at the moment.

I have built a 3' by 4' hovercraft (with rounded corners) out of plywood with a pond liner bag skirt. it it powered by either 2 battery operated leaf blowers or 1 plug in electric leaf blower. I have encountered a problem with both power sources. The hovercraft makes a loud vibrating noise when I stand/sit on it. It sounds like when you vibrate your lips together but much louder. With nobody on the craft there is a very small noise and with somebody on it its much louder. On the bottom there is a rectangular piece of plastic in the middle (16" by 4") positioned so that is 16 inches to every side (a little longer to the corners). There are 6 approx 2" holes around the middle (2 on each long side and 1 on each short side). Any suggestions of how to get rid of the noise? I assume its from not enough holes/bad positioning of the holes but i don't know.

It's probably your skirt that is not rigid enough and it is vibrating as air goes by. When you sit on it, maybe the weight is not well balanced with respect to the center of pressure of the power sources: One end is higher that the other and the sound changes.

that could be it jack action. I did notice that the skirt is flapping/vibrating when turned on. However the thing is in my 1st prototype i built straight off the basic online model (round 4' diameter, leaf blower, plastic 6 mil sheet for skirt, 6 holes evenly spaced around the center, bag skirt). For my 2nd prototype, the one explained before, I used a pond liner which is thicker (45 mil, almost a rubberized plastic sheet if that makes sense). Also the sound happens no matter where i sit or stand on the hovercraft. It may sound a little different when my weight changes but the basic noise is the same. I've watched two online videos (the gadget show, and something else) that were professional science people making hoverboards/hovercrafts. They did similar stuff (rectangular shap, pond liner, leaf blower (theres was gas powered but whatever) bag skirt) the main difference really is the holes in the bottom. Thats why I am thinking its coming from that. There needs to be some slack in the skirt so that air can flow in and inflate it.

I forgot to mention that the vibrating,rumbling noise was not present in the first protype

FAQ: Test Hovercraft Equation for Science Fair Project

What is the Test Hovercraft Equation and why is it important for a science fair project?

The Test Hovercraft Equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the lift and thrust of a hovercraft. It is important for a science fair project because it helps determine how well a hovercraft will perform and allows for accurate predictions and comparisons.

How do you conduct a test hovercraft experiment for a science fair project?

To conduct a test hovercraft experiment, you will need a small-scale model of a hovercraft, a flat surface, and a source of air (such as a leaf blower). Place the hovercraft on the surface and turn on the air source to create air cushion. Use the Test Hovercraft Equation to calculate lift and thrust, and make observations on the hovercraft's performance.

What factors can affect the results of a test hovercraft experiment?

Factors that can affect the results of a test hovercraft experiment include the weight and design of the hovercraft, the surface it is tested on, the strength and direction of the air source, and any external factors like wind or temperature.

How can the Test Hovercraft Equation be modified for different types of hovercraft designs?

The Test Hovercraft Equation can be modified by including additional variables or coefficients specific to the design of the hovercraft. For example, a hovercraft with a larger surface area may require a different coefficient for calculating lift and thrust compared to a smaller hovercraft.

Are there any limitations to using the Test Hovercraft Equation in a science fair project?

One limitation of using the Test Hovercraft Equation is that it is based on ideal conditions and may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios. Additionally, it may not account for all factors that can affect hovercraft performance. It is important to acknowledge and address these limitations in a science fair project.