How Can I Calculate the Velocity of Propagation for an RG58 Cable?

In summary, To calculate the velocity of propagation of a RG58 cable, data on the max/min of the pulse, rise time/fall time, and FWHM is needed along with the length of the cable and the period of the pulses. One way to measure speed would be to have two cables of different lengths connected to the pulse generator and the oscilloscope. The time difference between the pulses on the two channels can then be used to determine the propagation speed.
~Sam~

Homework Statement

I'm trying to calculate the velocity of propagation of a RG58 cable that is 0.5m long. It is connected to a pulse generator that passes pulses through the cable. The cable is connected to an oscilloscope, which plots the pulses. The period of the pulses are 5 microseconds apart. I have data of the max/min of the pulse, along with rise time/fall time and the FWHM. From this information I'm suppose to calculate the velocity of propagation for RG58.

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

It's more of a conceptual problem I'm having. I have done several calculations involving the length of the cables and the times. But when I compare that to the speed of light it is much too small.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how the propagation speed can be calculated. The pulse period is whatever it is at the pulse generator, independent of the cable length or propagation speed.

One way to measure speed would be to have two cables, of different lengths, running from the generator to two separate channels of the oscilloscope. Then the time difference between the pulses on the two channels would tell you how long it takes a signal to travel the extra cable length.

Related to How Can I Calculate the Velocity of Propagation for an RG58 Cable?

1. What is the velocity of propagation?

The velocity of propagation is the speed at which a wave travels through a medium. It is usually measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How is the velocity of propagation calculated?

The velocity of propagation is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the wave by the time it takes to travel that distance. This can be represented by the equation v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time.

3. What factors can affect the velocity of propagation?

The velocity of propagation can be affected by the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling, such as density, elasticity, and temperature. It can also be affected by the type of wave, such as transverse or longitudinal.

4. How does the velocity of propagation differ for different types of waves?

The velocity of propagation can vary for different types of waves due to the properties of the medium. For example, sound waves travel faster through denser materials, while electromagnetic waves travel at the speed of light in a vacuum.

5. Why is the velocity of propagation important in scientific research?

The velocity of propagation is important in scientific research because it allows us to understand how waves behave and interact with different materials. It is also a crucial factor in fields such as seismology, acoustics, and telecommunications.