How Can I Change Integration Form on Ti-89?

In summary, the conversation is discussing an issue with a Ti-89 calculator not returning the expected form of an integral. The speaker is familiar with the settings and has tried using other calculators, but is still unable to get the correct form. They are seeking help and suggestions, such as checking the calculator's format and upgrading the operating system.
Machinus
I am having some problems with my Ti-89.

I am familiar with all the settings under "Mode."

However, when integrating the function 1/(sinx) the calculator returns the form "ln[(sinx)/(cosx-1)]" and NOT the form "ln[tan(x/2)]." I am completely unable to get the calculator to return the other form of the integral. I have even used other Ti-89s and they return the second form and I cannot see any difference in the settings. Can anyone help?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you sure your calculator has a complex format of rectangular? Also the angle should be in radians. If that doesn't work I suggest upgrading the OS on the calc. The lastest version is 2.09. You can check which version you have by going to Tools->About

It sounds like you are having some trouble with your Ti-89's integration preferences. To change the form of the integral, you will need to adjust the settings under the "Calc" menu. From there, select "Integration" and then "Preferences." In this menu, you can choose the form of the integral that you prefer. Make sure to select "ln[tan(x/2)]" and then press "Enter" to save the changes. Your calculator should now return the desired form of the integral. If you are still having trouble, you may want to try resetting your calculator or consulting the user manual for further assistance.

FAQ: How Can I Change Integration Form on Ti-89?

1. What is the purpose of the "Ti-89 Integration Preferences" on my calculator?

The "Ti-89 Integration Preferences" allows you to customize the settings for integration on your calculator. This includes options for the precision of integration, the type of numerical method used, and the behavior for handling complex numbers.

2. How do I access the "Ti-89 Integration Preferences" on my calculator?

To access the "Ti-89 Integration Preferences" on your calculator, press the "Apps" button and then select "Calculus Tools." From there, you can select "Integration" and then "Preferences" to view and modify the settings.

3. Can I change the default settings for integration on my calculator?

Yes, you can change the default settings for integration on your calculator by accessing the "Ti-89 Integration Preferences" and adjusting the options to your desired settings. These settings will then be used for all integration calculations on your calculator.

4. What is the difference between the "Automatic" and "Exact" integration methods?

The "Automatic" integration method uses numerical methods to approximate the integral while the "Exact" integration method uses algebraic manipulation to find the exact solution. The "Exact" method is generally more accurate, but may not be able to find a solution for all integrals.

5. Are the "Ti-89 Integration Preferences" specific to a certain type of problem or function?

No, the "Ti-89 Integration Preferences" are general settings that apply to all integration calculations on your calculator. They are not specific to any particular type of problem or function.