How can I show the sum results in this?

• B
  • Thread starter howabout1337
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical identities involving the summation of a geometric series and how subtracting 1 from each side of the first identity leads to the second identity.
howabout1337
##\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac 1{p^{nz}}=1+\frac1{p^z}+\frac1{p^{2z}}+\frac1{p^{3z}}...##
##\frac 1{p^z}\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac 1{p^{nz}}=\frac1{p^z}+\frac1{p^{2z}}+\frac1{p^{3z}}+\frac1{p^{4z}}...##
something happens and it shows:
##\frac 1{p^z}\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac 1{p^{nz}}=\sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac1{p^{nz}}-1## <== How can I get here from above

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
howabout1337 said:
##\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac 1{p^{nz}}=1+\frac1{p^z}+\frac1{p^{2z}}+\frac1{p^{3z}}...##
##\frac 1{p^z}\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac 1{p^{nz}}=\frac1{p^z}+\frac1{p^{2z}}+\frac1{p^{3z}}+\frac1{p^{4z}}...##
something happens and it shows:
##\frac 1{p^z}\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac 1{p^{nz}}=\frac1{p^{nz}}-1## <== How can I get here from above
You can't. There should be a summation on the first term on the right hand side.

Likes howabout1337
Chestermiller said:
You can't. There should be a summation on the first term on the right hand side.
yes, I am sorry. Let me fix that

Subtract 1 from each side of the first identity

Likes howabout1337
dRic2 said:
Subtract 1 from each side of the first identity
Perfect. Thank you so much!

FAQ: How can I show the sum results in this?

1. How do I display the sum results in this?

To display the sum results, you can use the addition operator (+) in your code to add the values together and then print the result using a print or display function.

2. Can I use a loop to show the sum results in this?

Yes, you can use a loop to add up the values and display the sum results. This is a more efficient method if you have a large number of values to add.

3. Is there a built-in function to show the sum results in this?

Yes, most programming languages have a built-in function for addition. You can check the documentation for your specific language to find the appropriate function and syntax.

4. How can I format the sum results to show a specific number of decimal places?

To format the sum results, you can use a formatting function or method and specify the number of decimal places you want to display. This may vary depending on the programming language you are using.

5. Can I use variables to store and display the sum results?

Yes, you can use variables to store the sum results and then display them in your desired format. This allows for more flexibility in your code and makes it easier to reuse the sum results in other calculations.