How do electrons in glow in the dark compounds gain and release energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "glow in the dark" and how it works through the photoelectric effect, where electrons gain energy from light and release photons when they fall back to a lower energy level. The question is raised about whether this violates Hund's rule and why glow in the dark compounds only glow in certain conditions. The answer lies in quantum mechanics, where the spin of the electron can be inverted during the transition back to the ground state, resulting in a slower emission of photons. The conversation suggests further reading on the topic of phosphorescence to satisfy curiosity.
pzona
I have a basic understanding of how the "glow in the dark" idea works. From what I can tell, electrons gain energy from light, "charge" up and move to a higher energy level, and when they no longer receive energy from the light (are in the dark), the electrons fall back toward a lower level and release photons. I know there are other glow in the dark compounds involving radioactivity, but my question is about the type involving energized electrons.

When the lower level electrons are energized by the light, doesn't that leave the lower energy levels empty? And if so, doesn't this violate Hund's rule? I considered the idea that maybe the original high energy electrons dropped down to fill the lower levels, but if this were the case, what would make glow in the dark compounds different from anything else? And why wouldn't they glow in normal conditions? Or maybe they do glow, and it's harder to observe because the environment is already light? If anyone could satisfy my curiosity, I'd appreciate it.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You have a good grasp of the photoelectric effect: electrons absorb energy from light and move up to a higher "excited" state, leaving lower energy levels unoccupied. The process of dropping back down to the ground state releases energy in the form of a photon. Hund's rule, however, only applies to the ground state.

The glow-in-the-dark phenomena, phosphorescence, can be explained using quantum mechanics. Generally, absorption of a photon results in an excited electron with the same spin quantum number, yet in rare cases the spin is inverted (i.e. from -1/2 to +1/2). The transition from this state back to the ground state is significantly slower, hence we observe the emission of photons for a time after the initial charging. You can see why keeping glow sticks in the freezer can extend their lifetime.

To indulge your curiosity even further, the wikipedia article on phosphorescence is pretty good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphorescence"

Last edited by a moderator:

I can confirm that your understanding of how glow in the dark compounds work is correct. The phenomenon is known as phosphorescence and it involves the absorption of energy by electrons in a material, causing them to move to a higher energy level. When these electrons fall back to their original energy level, they release the excess energy in the form of light, giving the material its characteristic glow.

To address your question about the lower energy levels being left empty, it is important to note that electrons are constantly moving and shifting between energy levels in an atom. When they are energized by light, they simply move to a higher energy level temporarily and then return to their original energy level once the light source is removed. This does not violate Hund's rule, which states that electrons will occupy different orbitals within a subshell before pairing up in the same orbital.

As for why glow in the dark compounds only exhibit this phenomenon when energized by light, it is because the energy from light is needed to excite the electrons in the first place. Without this energy, the electrons would remain in their original energy level and there would be no excess energy to release as light. Additionally, the environment being already light may make it difficult to observe the glow, but it does not affect the phenomenon itself.

I hope this answers your questions and satisfies your curiosity about glow in the dark compounds. If you have any further inquiries, please do not hesitate to ask. As scientists, we are always happy to share our knowledge and insights with others.

Related to How do electrons in glow in the dark compounds gain and release energy?

What are "Glow in the Dark Compounds"?

"Glow in the Dark Compounds" are substances that are able to emit light after being charged with energy. They are often used in products such as glow sticks, toys, and safety signs.

How do "Glow in the Dark Compounds" work?

These compounds contain a material called a phosphor, which absorbs energy from its surroundings and then slowly releases it as visible light. This process is called phosphorescence.

What are the different types of "Glow in the Dark Compounds"?

There are several types of "Glow in the Dark Compounds" that use different phosphors to emit different colors of light. Some common types include zinc sulfide, strontium aluminate, and copper-activated zinc sulfide.

Are "Glow in the Dark Compounds" dangerous?

In general, "Glow in the Dark Compounds" are not considered dangerous. However, some compounds may contain toxic materials such as radium or strontium, so it is important to follow safety guidelines and use them responsibly.

Can "Glow in the Dark Compounds" be used for practical purposes?

Yes, "Glow in the Dark Compounds" have practical applications such as emergency lighting, safety signs, and glow-in-the-dark paints. They can also be used in scientific experiments and in medical imaging.

Back