How Do Electrons in Neon Follow Pauli's Exclusion Principle?

• Thread starter DB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, the conversation is about understanding Pauli's exclusion principle and its application in a Neon atom. The speaker is interested in learning about the electron configuration and labeling through quantum numbers, as well as the role of group theory in understanding the exclusion principle. They are also seeking resources to further their knowledge on the topic.
DB
I know that pauli's exclusion principle states that no 2 identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state. I understand this for let's say a He atom, but what is going on in 2nd energy level of a Neon atom? How are all the electrons in different quantum states?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Write down the electron shell+subshell configuration of Neon and label each electron through its 4 quantum numbers.

Daniel.

Thanks
dextercioby said:
Write down the electron shell+subshell configuration of Neon
n=1 shell
[tex]1s^2[/tex]

n=2 shell
[tex]2s^2,2p^6[/tex]

dextercioby said:
and label each electron through its 4 quantum numbers.
I don't know how do do this...

So far it's chemistry (sure derived from QM).Question:Do u know QM??

Daniel.

Umm, I have the understandin of QM, If you could give me a brief explanation of the quantum numbers and the exclusion principle I would research on it and learn more about it.

The part with the quantum numbers and their origin/signification is more complex & pretty mathematical.Do you know group theory?

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
The part with the quantum numbers and their origin/signification is more complex & pretty mathematical.Do you know group theory?

Daniel.

No, maybe I'm too undereducated to understand the exclusion principle, maybe you can point me in the right direction, where should I start?

With a solid course on analytical mechanics.Quantum Mechanics quantizes classical system described by Hamilton's formulation of Classical Mechanics.

Daniel.

FAQ: How Do Electrons in Neon Follow Pauli's Exclusion Principle?

What is Pauli's Exclusion Principle?

Pauli's Exclusion Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that no two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously.

Why is Pauli's Exclusion Principle important?

Pauli's Exclusion Principle helps to explain the behavior of electrons in atoms, as it restricts the number of electrons that can occupy a given energy level, leading to the formation of distinct energy shells. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the properties of matter and the periodic table of elements.

How was Pauli's Exclusion Principle discovered?

Pauli's Exclusion Principle was first proposed by Austrian physicist Wolfgang Pauli in 1925 as a solution to a problem in the atomic spectrum known as the "Pauli effect." He later refined the principle in 1926, building on the work of other physicists such as Enrico Fermi and Arnold Sommerfeld.

What is the difference between fermions and bosons?

Fermions and bosons are two types of subatomic particles that obey different rules of quantum mechanics. Fermions, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons, have half-integer spin and obey the Pauli Exclusion Principle. Bosons, such as photons and gluons, have integer spin and do not obey the exclusion principle.

Can Pauli's Exclusion Principle be violated?

No, Pauli's Exclusion Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and has been well-supported by experimental evidence. Violating this principle would require a fundamental change in our understanding of the behavior of matter at the atomic level.