How do i find the basis of subspace U

In summary, the conversation is about finding the basis of a subspace U, using elementary row operations to reduce a matrix, and identifying an error in the reduction process. It is suggested to check for a simple algebra mistake and clarify which subspace is being referred to.
subopolois

Homework Statement

In this case find the basis of subspace U
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
-6 -8 -10 12

Homework Equations

elementary row operations

The Attempt at a Solution

alright, so i know i have to reduce the matrix and i have done so
1 2 3 4
0 1 2 3
0 0 0 1
now the answer i get is
[1 5 -6]^T [2 6 -8]^T [4 8 12]^T
but the answer in the back of my textbook is
[1 5 -6]^T [2 6 8]^T
what have i done wrong, it seems they have one less column, is it my reduction of the matrix?

Physics news on Phys.org
You just had an error in reducing your matrix somewhere. Check over your work, because the matrix should have been
1 0 -1 -2
0 1 2 3
0 0 0 0
it was probably a simple algebra mistake.

What "subspace U" are you talking about? You give an array of numbers which you refer to as a matrix. I can think of 4 different subspaces that might be meant here:

The row space of the matrix.
The column space of the matrix.
The null space (kernel) of the matrix.
The image of the matrix.

Since you are row-reducing the matrix, you probably mean the column space but it would be a good idea to say so!

FAQ: How do i find the basis of subspace U

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that contains all possible linear combinations of its vectors. In other words, it is closed under addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How do I determine if a set of vectors forms a basis for a subspace?

To determine if a set of vectors forms a basis for a subspace, you can follow these steps:

• Check if the vectors are linearly independent, meaning that none of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the others.
  • Check if the vectors span the entire subspace, meaning that every vector in the subspace can be written as a linear combination of the given vectors.
  • If both conditions are met, then the set of vectors forms a basis for the subspace.

3. How do I find the basis for a subspace using the reduced row echelon form?

To find the basis for a subspace using the reduced row echelon form, you can follow these steps:

• Create a matrix with the given vectors as its columns.
  • Perform row operations to reduce the matrix to its reduced row echelon form.
  • The non-zero rows in the reduced matrix correspond to the basis vectors for the subspace.

4. Can a subspace have more than one basis?

Yes, a subspace can have more than one basis. This is because a basis is not unique and there can be multiple sets of linearly independent vectors that span the same subspace.

5. How can I use the Gram-Schmidt process to find a basis for a subspace?

The Gram-Schmidt process is a method for finding an orthogonal basis for a subspace. To use this process, you can follow these steps:

• Start with a set of linearly independent vectors that span the subspace.
  • Find the orthogonal projection of each vector onto the subspace spanned by the previous vectors.
  • Subtract the projections from the original vectors to get a set of orthogonal vectors.
  • Normalize the orthogonal vectors to create an orthonormal basis for the subspace.
Back