How do I simplify 4x4 det before solving? I am doing somethingwrong

• Thread starter Lenjaku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplify
In summary, the conversation is about solving a determinant and the steps taken by the person to try and solve it. They discuss different methods and realize their mistake in treating the determinant as a matrix. The suggestion to use expansion by minors is also given.
Lenjaku

Homework Statement

solve the det
3 1 1 0
-4 5 0 -1
0 7 2 8
2 -1 0 3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to solve it and get a different answer each time so I am doing something I shouldn't obviously.

Ok I am adding rows to other rows
(ex 2*row1 +row2)
Same I do for columns.

When I expend the matrix I pay attention to the + and -
So what is wrong :S

This is what I did (I didn't choose the shortest way because I wanted to make sure I am solving it right but hence something is off :S)

I did 2*R4+r2,R3-2*R1
I opened the det by a3,1
And got to this by this point:
1*
-4 5 -1​
-6 5 8​
0 3 5​
then I did
R1-R2,3*R1+R2
then opened it by a2,1
I got the det:
6*
5 -19​
3 5​
Which is 492 (should b 82)
Now in all the cases I tried I reached 82 before multiplying the number outside the 2x2 det (6 in this case)

Well it is kinda hard showing the steps of the det though it is a simple one but mainly is there something wrong with the steps I take?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lenjaku said:

Homework Statement

solve the det
3 1 1 0
-4 5 0 -1
0 7 2 8
2 -1 0 3

Homework Equations

I am trying to solve it and get a different answer each time so I am doing something I shouldn't obviously.

(ex 2*row1 +row2)
Same I do for columns.

This is what I did (I didn't choose the shortest way because I wanted to make sure I am solving it right but hence something is off :S)

I did 2*R4+r2
Okay, that's a good start. It gets a 0 in the first column, second row.

,R3-2*R1
But I don't understand why you did that? I thought you were trying to get 0s in the first column. This gives you
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}3 & 1 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 3 & 0 & 5 \\ -6 & 5 & 0 & 8 \\ 2 & -1 & 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

I opened the det by a3,1
1*
-4 5 -1​
-6 5 8​
0 3 5​
Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant before. Because you already have two 0s in the third column, if you subtract 2 times the first row from the third row, Replacing R3 with R3- 2R1, you get
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cccc}3 & 1 & 1 & 0 \\-4 & 5 & 0 & -1\\ -6 & 5 & 0 & 8 \\ 2 & -1 & 0 & 3 \end{array}\right|[/tex]
Expanding on the third column, you get
[tex]1\left|\begin{array}{ccc}4 & 5 & -1 \\ 6 & 5 & 8 \\ 2 & -1 & 3\end{array}\right|[/tex]
Although I still don't see how you got that third row.

Then I did
R1-R2,3*R1+R2
then opened it by a2,1
I got the det:
6*
5 -19​
3 5​
Now in all the cases I tried I reached 82 before multiplying the number outside the 2x2 det (6 in this case)

Well it is kinda hard showing the steps of the det though it is a simple one but mainly is there something wrong with the steps I take?

Lenjaku said:

Homework Statement

solve the det
3 1 1 0
-4 5 0 -1
0 7 2 8
2 -1 0 3

Homework Equations

(ex 2*row1 +row2)
Same I do for columns.

I did 2*R4+r2
Okay, that's a good start. It gets a 0 in the first column, second row.

,R3-2*R1
But I don't understand why you did that? I thought you were trying to get 0s in the first column. This gives you
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}3 & 1 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 3 & 0 & 5 \\ -6 & 5 & 0 & 8 \\ 2 & -1 & 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

I opened the det by a3,1
1*
-4 5 -1​
-6 5 8​
0 3 5​
Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant before. Because you already have two 0s in the third column, if you subtract 2 times the first row from the third row, Replacing R3 with R3- 2R1, you get
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cccc}3 & 1 & 1 & 0 \\-4 & 5 & 0 & -1\\ -6 & 5 & 0 & 8 \\ 2 & -1 & 0 & 3 \end{array}\right|[/tex]
Expanding on the third column, you get
[tex]1\left|\begin{array}{ccc}4 & 5 & -1 \\ 6 & 5 & 8 \\ 2 & -1 & 3\end{array}\right|[/tex]
Although I still don't see how you got that third row.

Then I did
R1-R2,3*R1+R2
then opened it by a2,1
I got the det:
6*
5 -19​
3 5​

Not everything I did had to have a meaning I was playing around with it.
I figured out what I was doing wrong though...I treated it as matrix .
When I write 2R2+R3
I actually mean R2=2R2+R3
I didn't know I can't do that with dets or I change its value:S

Row operations of course do change the value of the determinant.
Why don't you try expansion by minors to solve it? Might be a bit tedious, but would work after all.

Related to How do I simplify 4x4 det before solving? I am doing somethingwrong

1. Why do I need to simplify the 4x4 determinant before solving?

Simplifying the determinant makes it easier to solve the system of equations and find the solution. It reduces the number of calculations needed and makes the process more efficient.

2. What steps should I follow to simplify a 4x4 determinant?

To simplify a 4x4 determinant, you can use the properties of determinants such as expanding along a row or column, using cofactor expansion, or using the rule of Sarrus. You can also use row operations to transform the determinant into an upper or lower triangular form, making it easier to calculate the determinant.

3. What are some common mistakes people make when simplifying a 4x4 determinant?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to distribute negative signs correctly, making arithmetic errors when expanding along a row or column, and forgetting to multiply the determinant by the reciprocal of the constant factor when using row operations.

4. How can I check if I simplified the 4x4 determinant correctly?

You can check your answer by using an online calculator or by hand. If using an online calculator, make sure to enter the determinant correctly and verify that the calculated determinant matches your simplified version. If checking by hand, perform the necessary calculations and make sure your answer matches the simplified determinant.

5. What should I do if I am still having trouble simplifying the 4x4 determinant?

If you are still having trouble, try using a different method or approach. You can also ask for help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate. It may also be helpful to review the properties of determinants and practice with simpler examples before attempting a 4x4 determinant.

Back