How Do Light Waves Destructively Interfere in a Bubble Film?

In summary, the problem involves determining the wavelength of light that will destructively interfere due to the thickness of a bubble film with an index of refraction of 1.3 and a thickness of 165 nm. The goal is to find the wavelength that would cause destructive interference when the light passes through the bubble film twice and is delayed by half a wavelength. This can be calculated using the formula thickness = 1/4 * wavelength / n. The given options of wavelengths are a= 430 nm, b= 650 nm, c= 860 nm, and d= 285 nm.
stickplot
Ok so I've been thinking this problem over and over and I understand the problem and its concept but I don't know where to start someone please guide me through this

i know it will be destructive interference at 180 but I don't know what else to apply to the problem someone help please.Light waves of which wavelength will destructively interfere due to the thickness of the bubble film? The bubble film thickness is 165 nm, with an index of refraction of n = 1.3.

It also contains a picture just showing the different light waves

a= 430 nm
b= 650 nm
c= 860 nm
d= 285 nm

Physics news on Phys.org
So, part of the wave is reflected from the front surface and part from the back surface of the bubble and these two reflections interfere destructively?

If so, in order for the interference to be destructive the wave passing through the bubble thickness twice must be delayed by half a wavelength. Thus the thickness of the bubble is a quarter of a wavelength.

There is another wrinkle. The wavelength of the light decreases when it passes into the bubble material, by a factor of n. The thickness is a quarter of this reduced wavelength, but your answer should be expressed as its regular wavelength in air.

o ok. i now understand the concept well now, but how would i put that in a formula to see which one is destructing?

thickness = 1/4*wavelength

Related to How Do Light Waves Destructively Interfere in a Bubble Film?

1. What is the difference between light and sound waves?

Light waves are electromagnetic waves that do not require a medium to travel through and can travel through a vacuum. Sound waves, on the other hand, are mechanical waves that need a medium, such as air or water, to travel through.

2. How do light and sound waves travel?

Light waves travel in a straight line and at a constant speed, while sound waves travel in all directions as longitudinal waves and at a variable speed depending on the medium.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength of a wave?

Frequency and wavelength are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the frequency of a wave increases, its wavelength decreases and vice versa.

4. How do light and sound waves interact with matter?

Light waves can be reflected, absorbed, or transmitted by matter. Sound waves can also be reflected and absorbed, but they can also be refracted and diffracted.

5. How is the speed of a wave affected by the properties of the medium?

The speed of a wave is affected by the density, elasticity, and temperature of the medium it is traveling through. In general, waves travel faster through denser and more elastic mediums, but slower through warmer mediums.

Back