How Do You Calculate the Time Derivative of a Non-Constant Vector?

In summary: John were discussing how to find the time derivative of a vector, specifically in the case where the vector is changing in both magnitude and direction. Chet suggested using the chain rule, but John pointed out that the vector in question is a constant vector so the chain rule does not apply. Chet then clarified that any vector can be represented in component form, and John thanked him for the clarification.
Bruneleski

Homework Statement

I have somewhat general question about time derivative of a vector.
If we have
r=at2+b3
it's easy to find instantaneous acceleration and velocity(derivative with respect to dt)
v=2at+3bt2
a=2a+6bt​
But consider this position vector
r=b(at-t2)​
where b is constant vector and a is positive constant.

Homework Equations

I know that in first derivative, vector can change in both magnitude and direction, but I don't have an idea how to differentiate this thing.
How would you find acceleration and velocity in latter case?
What if b is vector but not constant?

By the way,for my second question,I'm studying from University physics by Young and Friedman,and my physics course is kinda more advanced(also first year intro).Our official book is Fundamentals of Mechanics by Irodov(problem book also by Irodov),but it's so devoid of any explanations that it's hopeless to use it for anything else other than reference book.Could you recommend me some equivalent on this level but more pedagogically sound?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know how to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should note that [itex] \mathbf b=b_x \hat x+b_y \hat y+b_z \hat z [/itex] and [itex] f(t)\mathbf b=f(t)b_x\hat x+f(t)b_y\hat y+f(t)b_z\hat z [/itex]. Then you should know that the time derivative of a vector, is just another vector which its components are the time derivative of the components of the original vector.(Of course if you're in Cartesian coordinates, because in other coordinates, the unit vectors are changing too.)

Likes Bruneleski
Suppose b is not given in component(cartesian) form,rather just vector form.Should I use the chain rule? If yes should i treat both b and t like independent variables and then apply chain rule?I'm still confused.

Bruneleski said:
Suppose b is not given in component(cartesian) form,rather just vector form.Should I use the chain rule? If yes should i treat both b and t like independent variables and then apply chain rule?I'm still confused.
[itex] \mathbf b [/itex] is a constant vector, right? So its derivative is zero and chain rule doesn't apply here!
Also note that whether you like it or not, any vector has a component representation!
I don't know why your complicating this simple issue for yourself. Just treat the vector as a constant and differentiate the rest w.r.t. time!

Likes Bruneleski
If we represent a vector ##\vec{V}## in terms of its magnitude V and a unit vector ##\vec{i}_V## (oriented in the same direction as ##\vec{V}##), and, if the vector ##\vec{V}## is changing both magnitude and direction, then:

[tex]\frac{d\vec{V}}{dt}=\frac{dV}{dt}\vec{i}_V+V\frac{d\vec{i}_V}{dt}=\frac{dV}{dt}\vec{i}_V+V\left[\frac{d(\vec{i}_V\centerdot \vec{i}_x)}{dx}\vec{i}_x\frac{dx}{dt}+
\frac{d(\vec{i}_V\centerdot \vec{i}_y)}{dy}\vec{i}_y\frac{dy}{dt}+\frac{d(\vec{i}_V\centerdot \vec{i}_z)}{dz}\vec{i}_z\frac{dz}{dt}\right][/tex]

Last edited:
Likes Bruneleski
Guess I didn't know how to differentiate unit vector properly.Thanks.

Bruneleski said:
Guess I didn't know how to differentiate unit vector properly.Thanks.

My apologies. I guess I didn't either. I had to go back and correct it to this:

[tex]\frac{d\vec{V}}{dt}=\frac{dV}{dt}\vec{i}_V+V\frac{d\vec{i}_V}{dt}=\frac{dV}{dt}\vec{i}_V+V\left[\frac{d(\vec{i}_V\centerdot \vec{i}_x)}{dx}\vec{i}_x\frac{dx}{dt}+
\frac{d(\vec{i}_V\centerdot \vec{i}_y)}{dy}\vec{i}_y\frac{dy}{dt}+\frac{d(\vec{i}_V\centerdot \vec{i}_z)}{dz}\vec{i}_z\frac{dz}{dt}\right][/tex]

Chet

Related to How Do You Calculate the Time Derivative of a Non-Constant Vector?

1. What is the definition of time derivative of a vector?

The time derivative of a vector is a mathematical operation that determines how a vector changes over time. It measures the rate of change of the vector with respect to time.

2. How is the time derivative of a vector represented?

The time derivative of a vector is represented using the notation d/dt, where d is the derivative operator and t is the variable of time.

3. What is the physical significance of the time derivative of a vector?

The time derivative of a vector has physical significance in that it represents the velocity of an object in motion. It tells us how fast the magnitude and direction of the vector are changing over time.

4. How is the time derivative of a vector calculated?

The time derivative of a vector is calculated by taking the derivative of each component of the vector with respect to time. This can be done using the chain rule if the vector is expressed in terms of other variables.

5. What is the relationship between the time derivative of a vector and its magnitude?

The time derivative of a vector is directly related to its magnitude. If the magnitude of the vector is changing over time, then the time derivative will be non-zero. If the magnitude is constant, then the time derivative will be zero.

Back