How do you compute trig ratios for angles greater than 90 degrees?

In summary, when a point P is rotated 90 degrees further from the first quadrant to the second quadrant, its coordinates become Q(-a,b) where the x-coordinate becomes negative while the y-coordinate remains the same. This results in a right triangle with sides of length a and b and hypotenuse r. The trigonometric ratios for the acute angle A in the first quadrant, sin A = b/r and cos A = a/r, also hold true for the angle 90+A in the second quadrant. This is because the triangles OAB and OAC, where O is the origin, A is the point P, and B and C are the endpoints of the rotating arm in the first and second quadrant respectively, have equivalent
pokemonDoom
Say I have an acute angle A in standard position in the first quadrant with a rotating arm of length r , terminating at coordinate P(a,b) . Now say I rotate it 90 degrees further from that position to the second quadrant , this ends up at coordinate Q(-a,b) . I draw perpendiculars from those two positions to the x-axis .

for the first triangle , sin A = b/r and cos A = a/r

as for the second triangle , why is sin (90+A) = a/r = cos A
and why is cos(90+A) = -b/r = -sin A

Im confused ... how can you compute the trig ratio for an angle greater than 90 degress ? Why not take the ratio for the acute angle (180 - (90+a))

Pls Help .

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

pokemonDoom said:
Say I have an acute angle A in standard position in the first quadrant with a rotating arm of length r , terminating at coordinate P(a,b) . Now say I rotate it 90 degrees further from that position to the second quadrant , this ends up at coordinate Q(-a,b) .

Hi ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

No … (-a,b) is the reflection of (a,b) in the y-axis.

You want Q(b,-a).

Then everythihng will make sense! :smile:

hmm ... but that doesn't solve my problem ... I need to know why the so called "reference angle" or the "corresponding acute angle" actually works for angles greater than 90 degrees , when taking sines and cosines or tangents . Is there a geometric argument for it ?

Im not entirely sure what your question is; but if it boils down to "why is cos(x)=sin(x+90) ?", then you can answer this by looking at the graphs of the sine and cosine functions.

Heres my problem ...

For the triangle in the second quadrant , why does my book state

sin(90+theta) = a/r and cos(90+theta) = -b/r

when clearly (90+theta) isn't even one of the angles in the triangle ... ? This was what I meant when I said why not calculate (180-90-theta) ...

I don't get this part ... ! I've looked up 2/3 trig books by native authors (I live in Nepal) and they don't seem to explain why this is so ... and I have yet to find a good trig book on the internet ... Thanks a mil .

Last edited:
Hi pokemonDoom! :smile:
pokemonDoom said:
For the triangle in the second quadrant …

No … the triangle is not in the second quadrant … its base is still in the first quadrant, and its tip is in the second quadrant.

For an easy example, consider the two triangles OAB and OAC, where O = (0,0), A = (1,0), B = (1,1), and C = (-1,1). So OA = 1, and OB = OC = √2. Put D = (-1,0).

Then angle AOB = 45º, and angle AOC = 135º.

And cosAOB = OA/OB = 1/√2, cosAOC = AD/OC = -1/√2.

But sinAOB = AB/OB = 1/√2, sinAOC = DC/OC = 1/√2. :smile:

Hello Tim ,

Im confused ...

how can the cosine of <AOC be AD/OC ... if I know better , its probably a typo .

and in triangle-DOC (which lies squarely on the second quadrant of my graph) how is it that the sine of <AOC is equivalent to the sine of <DOC ... This is the question in the first place .

Many thanks .

pokemonDoom said:
Im confused ...

how can the cosine of <AOC be AD/OC ... if I know better , its probably a typo .

Hi pokemonDoom! :smile:

Yes … sorry … it should be cosAOC = OD/OC = -1/√2. :redface:
and in triangle-DOC (which lies squarely on the second quadrant of my graph) how is it that the sine of <AOC is equivalent to the sine of <DOC ... This is the question in the first place .

Because sin = opposite/hypotenuse.

The side opposite angle AOB is AB, and the side opposite angle AOC is DC.

And AB = DC, so sinAOB = sinAOC. :smile:

(and of course, the diagram works for any angle, not just 45º)

... I get it !

But isn't the angle opposite side DC <DOC ... ? I am not trying to sound dumb but what youre trying to say is exactly what the question is .

Why should sineAOC =CD/OC , when its perfectly legible that sineDOC = CD/OC .

In essence what youre trying to say is for any angle greater than 90 degrees , the ratio of that angle is equal to the ratio of the acute angle formed with the nearest x-axis ... ?? but why? is there a geometric proof of some kind ?? instead of just guessing that the ratios are equal ?

FAQ: How do you compute trig ratios for angles greater than 90 degrees?

What is the definition of trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships and properties of triangles, specifically focusing on the angles and sides of triangles.

What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to calculate the ratios of the sides of a right triangle.

What is the unit circle in trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1, centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. In trigonometry, it is used to represent the values of the trigonometric functions for any angle.

What is the difference between radians and degrees?

Radians and degrees are units of measurement for angles. Radians are based on the radius of a circle, with 2π radians being equal to 360 degrees. Degrees, on the other hand, are based on a full circle, with 360 degrees being equal to 2π radians.

How is trigonometry used in real life?

Trigonometry has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in architecture, navigation, engineering, and physics. It is also used in fields like astronomy, surveying, and geography to measure and calculate distances and angles.

Back