How Do You Derive the Compton Effect Equation from Conservation Laws?

In summary, the task is to derive the Compton effect equation from three given equations, and the link to the Wikipedia page on Compton scattering is provided for reference. The process involves using momentum and energy conservation, eliminating the term of Phi, and using the identities for beta and gamma.
gotojason
oK SO... I have been given the task of deriving the Compton effect equ. ( [tex]\lambda\prime-\lambda=\frac{h}{m_ec}(1-cos\theta)[/tex])
exactly from the 3 following:
1) [tex]\frac{h}{\lambda}=\frac{h}{\lambda\prime}cos\theta +\gamma m u cos\phi[/tex]

2) [tex]0=\frac{h}{\lambda\prime}sin\theta-\gamma mu sin\phi[/tex]

3) [tex]\frac{hc}{\lambda}=\frac{hc}{\lambda\prime}+(\gamma-1)mc^2[/tex]

I found the link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compton_scattering
however I am having a hard time going from my equations to momentum and energy conservation
any ideas where to go ... I have been at it for 4+hrs and its driving me nuts
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
To get rid of term of [tex]\phi[/tex], try

[tex]\frac{h}{\lambda}\,-\,\frac{h}{\lambda'}cos\theta\,=\,\gamma m u cos\phi[/tex]

[tex]\frac{h}{\lambda'}sin\theta\,=\,\gamma mu sin\phi[/tex]

Square both equations and add.

Now, IIRC, [itex]\beta[/itex] = u/c and [itex]\gamma[/itex] = [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}[/tex]

1 and 2 are from momentum conservation and 3 from energy conservation.

First you need to eliminate Phi from the two first equations using the indentity cos^2(phi)+sin^2(phi)=1. Yes, you need to square up these equations after moving all other terms to one side except one with Phi.

Related to How Do You Derive the Compton Effect Equation from Conservation Laws?

1. What is the Compton Effect?

The Compton Effect, also known as Compton scattering, is a phenomenon in which an incident photon collides with an electron, resulting in a change in the photon's wavelength and energy.

2. What is the significance of the Compton Effect in physics?

The Compton Effect is significant because it provided evidence for the particle nature of light, confirming Einstein's theory of photons. It also helped to further understand the wave-particle duality of light and matter.

3. How is the Compton Effect derived mathematically?

The Compton Effect can be derived using the laws of conservation of momentum and energy, along with the principles of special relativity. This results in an equation that relates the change in wavelength of the scattered photon to the incident photon's energy and the scattering angle.

4. What is the difference between the classical and quantum explanations of the Compton Effect?

In classical physics, light is considered to be a wave, and the Compton Effect is explained by the wave interacting with the electron. In quantum physics, light is composed of particles called photons, and the Compton Effect is explained by the interaction between a photon and an electron.

5. How is the Compton Effect observed in everyday life?

The Compton Effect can be observed in everyday life through various techniques such as X-ray imaging and spectroscopy. X-rays, which are high energy photons, interact with electrons in the material being scanned, resulting in changes in their wavelength and intensity, allowing for the visualization of internal structures.