How do you make an eraser launcher using pill container?

In summary: These require a spark to work. You could try using a lighter but it's risky. It sounds like you have some ideas about how to do this, but you're unsure about some things. You might want to research how paintball guns work and see if there is a way to do this using a lighter.
madeeeeee
I want to launch an eraser through the air and it should land inside a garbage can 10 meters away from the launch site and it will be laying at a 30 degree angle to the ground.

i need to use a combustion chamber made out of a container (max 65 mL), i need to use fuel, a sparker , an eraser from the end of a pencil, a barrel to put the eraser at the end, and the launcher should be mounted at an angle.

a) How should i make this launcher?

b) What is the best way to make this eraser launcher so that is projects with great force?

c) Should i use a small container like a pill container?

d) What are some safety precautions i should take when launching this?

ANY IDEAS FROM GREAT ENGINEERING MINDS

Physics news on Phys.org
madeeeeee said:
I want to launch an eraser through the air and it should land inside a garbage can 10 meters away from the launch site and it will be laying at a 30 degree angle to the ground.

i need to use a combustion chamber made out of a container (max 65 mL), i need to use fuel, a sparker , an eraser from the end of a pencil, a barrel to put the eraser at the end, and the launcher should be mounted at an angle.

a) How should i make this launcher?

b) What is the best way to make this eraser launcher so that is projects with great force?

c) Should i use a small container like a pill container?

d) What are some safety precautions i should take when launching this?

ANY IDEAS FROM GREAT ENGINEERING MINDS

Sounds like a school project. Why don't you tell us your ideas and the tradeoffs of doing it different ways...

using the gas produced (CO2) from putting an alka- seltzer tablet in water . I can experiment with different sized containers to get the maximum pressure that will blow off the top . Then making a small hole that will fit the eraser will blow it out with force.
wear protective glasses for your eyes.
but this doesn't use the sparker idea doesn't use a sparker and i need to.
How should i do it?

madeeeeee said:
using the gas produced (CO2) from putting an alka- seltzer tablet in water . I can experiment with different sized containers to get the maximum pressure that will blow off the top . Then making a small hole that will fit the eraser will blow it out with force.
wear protective glasses for your eyes.
but this doesn't use the sparker idea doesn't use a sparker and i need to.
How should i do it?

Good! My son did a Science Fair project based on the Alka Seltzer launcher -- fun stuff.

I find it hard to believe that a requirement for your school project is to use pyrotechnics (things that require an ignition source to cause the expansion). Extremely hard to believe, especially since they go so far as to ask about safety consideratioins.

The method you mentioned is a good way to do it. Another might be to use the small CO2 containers that are used in paintball guns. you could rig up some way to discharge a measured amount of the CO@ per shot (research how paintball guns do it.

Stay away from the fire and boom stuff.

Related to How do you make an eraser launcher using pill container?

1. How does an eraser launcher work?

An eraser launcher works by using the elastic potential energy stored in a rubber band to launch an object, in this case an eraser. When the rubber band is stretched, it stores potential energy. When released, this energy is converted into kinetic energy, propelling the eraser forward.

2. What materials do I need to make an eraser launcher?

To make an eraser launcher using a pill container, you will need a pill container, a rubber band, an eraser, and some tape. You may also want to use scissors to cut the rubber band to the appropriate size.

3. How do I assemble the eraser launcher?

Start by cutting the rubber band into two equal pieces. Then, tape one end of each rubber band to opposite sides of the pill container, making sure they are parallel to each other. Next, place the eraser in the pill container and pull back on the rubber bands to stretch them. Finally, release the rubber bands to launch the eraser.

4. How can I make my eraser launcher shoot farther?

To make your eraser launcher shoot farther, you can try using a longer rubber band or pulling back on the rubber bands with more force. You can also experiment with different types of erasers, as some may be more aerodynamic and travel farther.

5. Is it safe to use an eraser launcher?

As long as the rubber band is not pulled back too far and the eraser is launched in a safe direction, an eraser launcher is generally safe to use. However, it is always important to use caution and adult supervision when handling any type of launcher or projectile.

Back