How Do You Prove a Function Is Isomorphic to the Cartesian Product of X?

• Thread starter Nexttime35
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomorphism
In summary: Well, no. The function defined by the ordered pair has to be a function from {1,2} into X. If the ordered pair is (1,3) then define the function f(1)=1 and f(2)=3. So G will map that function to the ordered pair (1,3). Another obvious choice would be to define H(f)=(f(2),f(1)). It should be kind of obvious that G and H are bijections from functions to ordered pairs, if you think about it.
Nexttime35

Homework Statement

See Attachment:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59074&d=1369708771

Homework Equations

As shown in the attachment, I am slightly confused as to where to begin this problem.

I know that I need to prove that a function, f, is 1-1 and onto, in order for the function to be isomorphic to the cartesian product of X, but I am unaware as to where to begin this problem.

Does anyone have any ideas that could help?

Thank you very much,

G.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nexttime35 said:

Homework Statement

See Attachment

Homework Equations

As shown in the attachment, I am slightly confused as to where to begin this problem.

I know that I need to prove that a function, f, is 1-1 and onto, in order for the function to be isomorphic to the cartesian product of X, but I am unaware as to where to begin this problem.

Does anyone have any ideas that could help?

Thank you very much,

G.

Shouldn't you attach something? I don't see anything.

Here is the attachment:

Nexttime35 said:
Here is the attachment:

Ok, I see it now. Suppose f(1)=x1 and f(2)=x2 where x1 and x2 are in X. Can't you think of a way to associate that with an ordered pair in X x X?

Hmm. I'm still slightly confused about how to link f(1)=x1 and f(2)=x2 with an ordered pair, to prove that f is 1-1 and onto. Any ideas?

Nexttime35 said:
Hmm. I'm still slightly confused about how to link f(1)=x1 and f(2)=x2 with an ordered pair, to prove that f is 1-1 and onto. Any ideas?

Whatever you are using to display attachements seems to be blocked in the firefox browser or by the website, or they've expired. They've now disappeared. If I open it in Chome I don't see anything either. You should probably just type your problem statement in. I've forgotten how it was exactly stated and it would be best to have it here for reference. But isn't (f(1),f(2)) an ordered pair in X x X? And doesn't an ordered pair also define a function {1,2}->X x X?

Last edited:

Attachments

• mathproblem1.png
    mathproblem1.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 657
OK so, here's my first attempt at proving G is 1-1.

G is 1-1: Assume G(f(1)) = G(f(2)). Then since g is 1-1, (f(1)) = (f(2)) which lies in X x X.
Does that follow? Thanks for your help.

Nexttime35 said:
OK so, here's my first attempt at proving G is 1-1.

G is 1-1: Assume G(f(1)) = G(f(2)). Then since g is 1-1, (f(1)) = (f(2)) which lies in X x X.
Does that follow? Thanks for your help.

You don't seem to be quite getting this. G is supposed to map a function from {1,2} into X into an ordered pair in X x X. Suppose X=N, the natural numbers. If f(1)=9 and f(2)=16 then G(f) is an ordered pair. What is it? Conversely if you are given an ordered pair (1,3), what is the corresponding f? You want to prove there is a 1-1 correspondence between functions and ordered pairs.

Last edited:
If f(1) = 9 and f(2) = 16, then G(f) is an ordered pair, (9,16). Given an ordered pair (1,3), the corresponding f would be (f(1),f(3)), correct?
So I want to find a bijection G: X^{1,2} to X x X, and then prove the bijection. Now, my professor said there are two options for the function to prove is 1-1 and onto. What are those two functions?

Nexttime35 said:
If f(1) = 9 and f(2) = 16, then G(f) is an ordered pair, (9,16). Given an ordered pair (1,3), the corresponding f would be (f(1),f(3)), correct?
So I want to find a bijection G: X^{1,2} to X x X, and then prove the bijection. Now, my professor said there are two options for the function to prove is 1-1 and onto. What are those two functions?

Well, no. The function defined by the ordered pair has to be a function from {1,2} into X. If the ordered pair is (1,3) then define the function f(1)=1 and f(2)=3. So G will map that function to the ordered pair (1,3). Another obvious choice would be to define H(f)=(f(2),f(1)). It should be kind of obvious that G and H are bijections from functions to ordered pairs, if you think about it. See if you can explain why.

Related to How Do You Prove a Function Is Isomorphic to the Cartesian Product of X?

1. What is the "Basic Proving Isomorphism Problem" in mathematics?

The Basic Proving Isomorphism Problem is a fundamental concept in abstract algebra that involves determining whether two algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, or fields, are isomorphic or not. Isomorphism refers to a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of two structures that preserves their algebraic operations.

2. How is the Basic Proving Isomorphism Problem typically solved?

The Basic Proving Isomorphism Problem is usually solved by constructing a bijective homomorphism, or a structure-preserving map, between the two structures being compared. This map is used to show that the structures have the same underlying algebraic properties and are therefore isomorphic.

3. What are some common techniques used in solving the Basic Proving Isomorphism Problem?

Some common techniques used in solving the Basic Proving Isomorphism Problem include finding a suitable generating set for each structure, checking for structural properties such as associativity and commutativity, and using theorems and properties specific to the type of structure being studied, such as Lagrange's theorem for groups or the division algorithm for rings.

4. Can the Basic Proving Isomorphism Problem be solved for all types of algebraic structures?

Yes, the Basic Proving Isomorphism Problem can be solved for all types of algebraic structures, including groups, rings, fields, and more. However, the techniques and methods used may vary depending on the specific type of structure being studied.

5. What is the significance of solving the Basic Proving Isomorphism Problem?

Solving the Basic Proving Isomorphism Problem is important in mathematics as it allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying structures and relationships between different algebraic systems. It also has practical applications in areas such as cryptography, coding theory, and computer science.