How Do You Show |λ|^2 = 1 for a 2D Transformation Matrix?

In summary, the conversation was about showing that the determinant squared of a two-dimensional transformation matrix is equal to 1. The questioner was unsure of how to apply this to a matrix and was confused about what a transformation matrix is. The expert suggested looking up the determinant of a matrix and clarified that the determinant squared is not necessarily equal to 1 for every transformation matrix.
UrbanXrisis
Show by direct expansion that [tex]| \lambda | ^2 =1 [/tex]

For simplicity, take [tex]\lambda[/tex] to be a two-dimensional transformation matrix.

from what I understand, if X was a vector (2,3,4), [tex]| X | [/tex] is finding the length of the vector by adding the square of the numbers and taking a square root. [tex]\sqrt{2^2+3^2+4^2}[/tex]

What I don't understand is how to apply this to a matrix

because a 2x2 matrix times itself is still a 2x2 matrix, and even after one square root's it, it's still a 2x2 matrix, never just 1.

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are missing just about everything! What do you mean "For simplicity, take [itex]\lambda[/itex] to be a two-dimensional transformation matrix"? Is that given as part of the problem? Why "for simplicity"? If you are not told what [itex]\lambda[/itex] is, the problem makes no sense at all.

Exactly what is a "transformation matrix"? You can't mean what I would think it means because it simply is not true that the determinant of every transformation matrix is 1. And it would be a really good idea to look up "determinant of a matrix". If you were asked to do this problem, then you were certainly expected to know what that is and how to calculate it!

The question just asks

"Show by direct expansion that [tex]| \lambda | ^2 =1 [/tex] For simplicity, take [tex]\lambda[/tex] to be a two-dimensional transformation matrix."

your guess is as good as mine as to what is a transformation matrix.
And it's not "the determinant of every transformation matrix is 1" it's the determinant squared is equal to one, which also doesn't make sense because I thought that [tex]1=| \lambda | |\lambda|^{-1}[/tex]

is this a possible description:

[tex] 1= | \lambda | ^2 =| \lambda | |\lambda|^{-1} [/tex]

I'm not really sure on this...

Related to How Do You Show |λ|^2 = 1 for a 2D Transformation Matrix?

What is a transformation matrix?

A transformation matrix is a mathematical representation of a transformation in a coordinate system. It is used to describe the transformation of points, vectors, or other geometrical objects from one coordinate system to another.

What are the components of a transformation matrix?

A transformation matrix typically consists of a combination of translation, rotation, scaling, and shearing components. These components determine how the coordinates of an object are transformed from one coordinate system to another.

How is a transformation matrix used?

A transformation matrix is used to transform points, vectors, or objects from one coordinate system to another. It can also be used to combine multiple transformations, such as rotating and scaling, into a single transformation.

How do you create a transformation matrix?

A transformation matrix can be created by multiplying individual transformation matrices for translation, rotation, scaling, and shearing together. The resulting matrix represents the combined transformation.

What is the inverse of a transformation matrix?

The inverse of a transformation matrix is a matrix that can be used to reverse the transformation. It is created by taking the inverse of each individual transformation component and multiplying them together in reverse order.