How Does the Cauchy Integral Formula Apply to Evaluating Complex Line Integrals?

In summary, the integral I= \int_C\frac{e^{iz}}{z^n}dz for n=1,2,3,... can be evaluated using the Cauchy integral formula or by expanding the integrand as a Laurent series and using the residue theorem. Both methods result in the same answer, which is \frac{i^n 2 \Pi} {(n-1)!} .
laleler1

Homework Statement

for [itex]n=1,2,3,...[/itex] , evaluate the integral,

[itex]I= \int_C\frac{e^{iz}}{z^n}dz[/itex]
where [itex]C [/itex] is a curve like [itex]z(t)=e^{it}[/itex] and [itex]0 \leq t \leq 2\Pi[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use Cauchy integral formula; that

[itex]f^{(n)}(z)=\frac{n!}{2 \Pi i}\int_C\frac{f(\zeta)}{(\zeta-z)^{n+1}}d\zeta[/itex]

then we can obtain,

[itex]f^{(n-1)}(z)=\frac{(n-1)!}{2 \Pi i}\int_C\frac{f(\zeta)}{(\zeta-z)^{n}}d\zeta[/itex]

[itex]f^{(n-1)}(z)=\frac{(n-1)!}{2 \Pi i}\int_C\frac{f(\zeta)}{(\zeta-z)^{n}}d\zeta[/itex]

[itex](e^{iz})^{(n-1)}(z) \Big\vert_{z=0}=\frac{(n-1)!}{2 \Pi i}\int_C\frac{e^{iz}}{z^{n}}d\zeta[/itex]

[itex]i^{n-1}=\frac{(n-1)!}{2 \Pi i}\int_C\frac{e^{iz}}{z^{n}}d\zeta [/itex]

[itex]\int_C\frac{e^{iz}}{z^{n}}d\zeta=\frac{i^{n-1} 2 \Pi i} {(n-1)!} [/itex]

[itex]~~~~~~~~=\frac{i^n 2 \Pi} {(n-1)!} [/itex] .

can you check, is it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's correct.

You could also expand the integrand as a Laurent series and use the residue theorem.

Related to How Does the Cauchy Integral Formula Apply to Evaluating Complex Line Integrals?

1. What is a complex line integral?

A complex line integral is a mathematical concept that involves integrating a complex-valued function along a given curve in the complex plane. It is an extension of the traditional line integral in multivariable calculus.

2. How is a complex line integral calculated?

A complex line integral is calculated using the fundamental theorem of calculus. This involves breaking down the curve into infinitesimal segments and summing up the values of the function at each point. The result is a single complex number.

3. What is the significance of a complex line integral?

Complex line integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used to calculate work done by a complex force, electric potential in a circuit, and other physical quantities that involve complex-valued functions.

4. How is a complex line integral different from a regular line integral?

The main difference between a complex line integral and a regular line integral is that the former involves integrating a complex-valued function, whereas the latter involves integrating a real-valued function. Additionally, a complex line integral is calculated along a curve in the complex plane, whereas a regular line integral is calculated along a curve in the real plane.

5. What are some common techniques for evaluating complex line integrals?

Some common techniques for evaluating complex line integrals include parameterization of the curve, Cauchy's integral formula, and the residue theorem. These techniques involve breaking down the curve into simpler segments and applying known methods of integration to calculate the final value.