How does the placement of sensors affect stress in a squeeze ball?

In summary, the conversation discusses two squeeze balls with pressure sensors inside them being used as an input for a game. The user's aim is to prove that maximum stress is acting on the sensors placed in Ball B, which has two sensors placed closer to the surface. The discussion also mentions the use of equations and experiments to prove this theory. The conversation also touches on the possibility of the interior of a squeeze ball supporting sheer stress and the sensitivity of the sensors to the orientation of the ball. Overall, the goal is to prove that using Ball B is more efficient in applying the user's input force to the game.
Anuroop
Hi,

I have two squeeze balls with pressure sensors inside them. One squeeze ball(Ball A) has a sensor placed at the center while the other one(Ball B) has two sensors, placed very close to the two opposite surfaces. These squeeze balls act as an input to a game developed. Depending upon the squeeze force level, characters in the game will move.

My next aim is to theoretically prove that while squeezing the ball,maximum stress is acting on the sensors placed in Ball B as it is closer to the surface. In a way I am trying to prove that the input force exerted by the user is applied to the game efficiently when we use Ball B.

So how do I prove it by writing few equations? Is it just calculating the radius of contact area & then using it to find out the stress acting?

Regards,
Anuroop

Physics news on Phys.org
I might not be the best person to answer but...

If you treat the ball as a liquid being compressed uniformly I would expect the pressure to be roughly the same everywhere inside it. If it's not then I suspect its due to the non-uniformity of the set up?

CWatters said:
I might not be the best person to answer but...

If you treat the ball as a liquid being compressed uniformly I would expect the pressure to be roughly the same everywhere inside it. If it's not then I suspect its due to the non-uniformity of the set up?

Thanks for the reply. My explanation for stating that maximum stress is near the surface goes like this.

The pressure is a function of the force applied divided by the area it is spread over. And if you think about it, any cross section of the ball between the two points must have the same total force transmitted. But the area of that cross section has a maximum across the middle of the ball leading to the lowest pressure and it has a minimum area near the points of contact giving the highest pressure.

I am not 100% confident about it & I am looking for some theories/ equations or some experiments to prove it.

When we press at 2 points a squeeze ball we essentially generate 2 pressure waves that travel with the speed of sound in the air inside the ball (i assume the ball is filled with air). It isn't so easy to find where the total pressure wave will have minimum and maximum but in a very short time (in a time scale of d/s where d the diamter of ball and s the speed of sound) the two waves will dissipate and the pressure will be about the same everywhere inside the ball. So i think if we want better more accurate reaction times comparable to d/s we should use ball B (which i doubt because d/s would be very small) otherwise ball A will give about the same results.

If you model the ball as a fluid-filled, flexible skin then, as CWatters points out, pressure will be uniform throughout the interior. You get the illusion of locally greater pressure at your fingers, not because the fluid pressure is greater locally, but because the curvature of the skin is concave. The tension of the (concave) skin adds to the pressure of the fluid. By contrast, where you are not squeezing, the tension in the (convex) skin cancels the pressure of the fluid.

I suspect that the interior of a real squeeze ball can support sheer stress so that the model as a fluid-filled skin may not be correct.

If the sensors are at two points on the surface of the ball I reckon they will be sensitive to how the ball is held, eg to the orientation of the ball in the hand. If the sensor is in the middle of the ball it should be immune to orientation.

Anuroop said:
I am trying to prove that the input force exerted by the user is applied to the game efficiently when we use Ball B.

Putting it in the middle might make the sensor less sensitive but you should be able to fix that.

FAQ: How does the placement of sensors affect stress in a squeeze ball?

What is a stress ball and how does it work?

A stress ball is a small, malleable toy that is designed to be squeezed and manipulated with the hands. It is thought to work by providing a physical outlet for stress and tension, allowing the mind and body to relax.

Can stress balls actually reduce stress?

While research on the effectiveness of stress balls is limited, some studies have shown that using a stress ball can help reduce feelings of stress and anxiety. However, it may not work for everyone and should not be used as the sole method for managing stress.

What are some benefits of using a stress ball?

In addition to potentially reducing stress levels, using a stress ball can also improve hand and wrist strength and flexibility. It can also serve as a distraction from negative thoughts and can be a helpful tool for managing anger and frustration.

How do I choose the right stress ball for me?

Stress balls come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and materials. The best one for you will depend on your personal preferences and needs. Some people may prefer a squishy foam ball, while others may prefer a harder rubber ball. It may be helpful to try out a few different types to see which one feels most comfortable to you.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using a stress ball?

While using a stress ball can be beneficial for some people, it may not work for everyone. Additionally, some people may become dependent on using a stress ball and may have difficulty managing stress without it. It's important to use a stress ball in moderation and to also incorporate other stress management techniques into your daily routine.

Back