How Efficient Are Freight Elevators and Can They Regenerate Electricity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy efficiency of real world freight elevators, with a particular focus on the efficiency of the motor used. The speaker mentions a rule of thumb of 85% efficiency for industrial motors. There is also a question about the possibility of regenerating potential energy from the lifted freight back into electricity and the potential efficiency of this process. The comparison is also made to pumped-storage hydroelectricity as a large scale energy storage technology.
lfasn
Hello all,
I have probably a simple question for mechanical engineers. I would like to know the energy efficiency of real world freight elevators, going up with a speed of one meter per second. How about the best elevator's efficiency I could expect?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It will drastically depend on the motor used. As a rule of thumb for preliminary calculations, 85% is a good starting efficiency number for industrial motors (in my experience anyways).

Thank you FredGarvin :)
May be then.. would it possible to 'regenerate' most of the potential energy of the lifted freight, into electricity (e.g. with the same motor, only in reverse)?
What could be the efficiency of this second step?
If the round-trip efficiency could be more than 70%, then this would directly compare (and may be has other advantages, smaller capital cost(?), smaller environmental impact, more potential locations) with the main large scale energy storage technology, namely pumped-storage hydroelectricity?

FAQ: How Efficient Are Freight Elevators and Can They Regenerate Electricity?

1. How is freight elevator efficiency measured?

The efficiency of a freight elevator is typically measured by its load capacity and speed. A more efficient elevator will be able to carry heavier loads and move them at a faster rate.

2. What factors affect the efficiency of a freight elevator?

The efficiency of a freight elevator can be affected by several factors, including its design, age, maintenance, and usage. A well-designed elevator with regular maintenance and proper usage will generally be more efficient.

3. How can the efficiency of a freight elevator be improved?

The efficiency of a freight elevator can be improved by implementing modern technology, such as regenerative drives, which can save energy and reduce operating costs. Regular maintenance and proper usage can also improve efficiency.

4. What are the benefits of having an efficient freight elevator?

An efficient freight elevator can provide several benefits, including faster transportation of goods, reduced energy consumption, and lower operating costs. It can also improve the overall productivity and efficiency of a building's operations.

5. What are common issues that can affect the efficiency of a freight elevator?

Common issues that can affect the efficiency of a freight elevator include overloading, improper usage, lack of maintenance, and outdated technology. These issues can lead to slower transportation times, increased energy consumption, and higher operating costs.

Back