How is light affected by the gravity of a black hole?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of photons having no mass but still being influenced by the gravity of a black hole. It is explained that in general relativity, gravity is the result of energy, momentum, and pressure curving spacetime. As light travels through spacetime and has its own energy and momentum, it can also produce gravity. This topic has been covered in a FAQs section and the original poster is thanked for their input.
Oliver3.141
Hello! I am new to this forum, but I'll give it a shot.
It is my understanding that photons have no mass- but that light is still pulled by the gravity of a black hole. How can something without a mass, and therefore, gravity, be pulled by the gravity of another object? Any insight would be appreciated. I am still just beginning in my physics education, so please correct any errors I have made.

Science news on Phys.org
Hi Oliver3.141 welcome to PF,

In general relativity (the theory that describes this) gravity comes from the fact that energy and momentum and pressure all curve spacetime. Light travels through spacetime, so its path can be influenced by gravity. Also, light has energy and momentum and pressure, so it can produce gravity too.

Thank you for your input! :)

Related to How is light affected by the gravity of a black hole?

1. What is the relationship between light and gravity in a black hole?

The gravity of a black hole is so strong that it can bend the path of light, causing it to follow a curved trajectory. This is due to the warping of space-time around the black hole, which is caused by its immense mass.

2. Does light behave differently near a black hole compared to other objects?

Yes, the gravity of a black hole is much stronger than that of other objects, so light is affected more significantly. Light can also be completely absorbed by a black hole if it crosses the event horizon, the point of no return.

3. Can light escape from a black hole?

Light cannot escape from a black hole once it has passed the event horizon. However, if it is still outside of the event horizon, it can escape if it is traveling fast enough to overcome the pull of gravity.

4. How does the strength of a black hole's gravity affect the behavior of light?

The strength of a black hole's gravity increases with its mass. As the gravitational pull gets stronger, the bending of light becomes more significant, and it can even cause light to appear distorted or "lensed" around the black hole.

5. Can light be used to study black holes?

Yes, light is an essential tool for studying black holes. By observing how light behaves near a black hole, scientists can gather information about its mass, spin, and surroundings. This helps us better understand the properties and behavior of these mysterious objects.