How Is Symmetric Algebra Isomorphic to a Free Commutative R-Algebra?

• Thread starter bombo1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symmetric
In summary, the conversation discusses the task of proving the isomorphism between the symmetric algebra (Sym V) and the free commutative R-algebra on the set {x1, ..., xn}. The process involves regarding Sym V as +Sym^n V for n>=0 and finding a map that reduces all polynomials from R to make them homogeneous. The conversation also mentions that understanding the meaning of V and the symmetric powers can aid in solving the problem.
bombo1
I have this problem that i need to prove and i don't even know where to start. So I have to show that the symmetric algebra ( Sym V ) is isomorphic to free commutative R-algebra on the set {x1, ..., xn}.

Now i know that Sym V could be regarded as +Sym^n V for n>=0. And then we need to show that this is isomorphic to the R-algebra on the set {x1, ..., xn}. What I don't really understand is the +Sym^n V for n>=0
what exactely does the + do? Can i just regard this as the space of homogeneous polynomials of degree n in the variables of e1, e2,... e3, where {ei} is a basis for V.
Every polynomial ring R[x1, ..., xn] is a commutative R-algebra. Do I need to find a map such that it reduces all the polynomials from R to make them homogeneous.. I really don't know how to start this problem.

thnx for everyone who can help me with any ideas:)

Physics news on Phys.org
You might start be defining what V is, then if you start by writing out the definition of sym(V) we might be able to see what we have to work with. (And, yes I can guess what V is, and I know what the symmetric powers are of, say, a vector space, but that is a suggestion of what you need to start with.)

the plus symbol just means direct sum (as vector spaces) of the degree n parts of the symmetric algebra.

Last edited:
it helps if you know what the objects mean, i.e. both are the universal commutative algebra over R with n generators, so they are the same.

Related to How Is Symmetric Algebra Isomorphic to a Free Commutative R-Algebra?

1. What is a symmetric power in algebra?

A symmetric power is a construction in algebra that takes a given algebraic structure, such as a ring or module, and produces a new structure that is symmetric with respect to the original structure. In other words, the new structure will have the same properties and operations as the original structure, but with a different "symmetry" or ordering of elements.

2. How are symmetric powers used in algebraic representation theory?

Symmetric powers are used in algebraic representation theory to study the representation theory of a group or algebra. Specifically, the symmetric powers of a module over a group or algebra can help classify and understand the structure of the original module and its submodules.

3. What is an R-algebra?

An R-algebra is a ring that is also a vector space over a commutative ring R. In other words, it is a ring that has both addition and multiplication operations, and also allows for scalar multiplication by elements of R.

4. How do symmetric powers relate to R-algebras?

Symmetric powers can be used to construct R-algebras from other algebraic structures, such as modules or rings. This allows for the study of R-algebras and their properties using tools and techniques from other areas of algebra.

5. Can symmetric powers be generalized to other algebraic structures?

Yes, symmetric powers can be generalized to other algebraic structures such as Lie algebras, Hopf algebras, and more. This allows for the application of symmetric powers in various areas of mathematics, including representation theory, algebraic geometry, and algebraic topology.

Back