How long does it take for wave to travel the lenght of the string

In summary, the fundamental frequency of a string fixed at both ends is 256 Hz. To find the time it takes for a wave to travel the length of the string, the equation V = f (lambda) can be used. Since the length of the string was not given, the wavelength can be found by dividing the frequency by 2. Therefore, the time it takes for the wave to travel the length of the string is 1.953 x 10-3 seconds.
RaPiD

Homework Statement

Fundamental frequency of a string fixed at both ends is 256 Hz. How long does it take for a wave to travel the length of string?

Homework Equations

V = f (lambda)

Otherwise, not really sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't really know how to approach this problem because the length of the string wasn't given because I was thinking that if I had the distance I could find the velocity and then the time.

Physics news on Phys.org

256 hz = 256 cycles/s

that means it takes 1/256 s/cycle, or 0.00390625 s/cycle.

so it's 0.00390625s, i think

thanks for the reply, but I think I go it now. I think since its fundamental frequency its half of the wavelength. And I completely forgot what frequency actually is.

The answer is 1.953 x 10-3 seconds. Is that what you got?

Yeah dx I got .00195 s , your last reply from my last question helped me a little more to understand it. Thanks again.

Related to How long does it take for wave to travel the lenght of the string

1. How is the speed of a wave on a string determined?

The speed of a wave on a string is determined by the tension and mass per unit length of the string. This relationship is described by the wave equation v = √(T/μ), where v is the speed of the wave, T is the tension in the string, and μ is the mass per unit length of the string.

2. Does the length of the string affect the speed of the wave?

Yes, the length of the string does affect the speed of the wave. According to the wave equation, the speed of the wave is directly proportional to the square root of the tension in the string. Therefore, a longer string with the same tension will have a slower wave speed compared to a shorter string.

3. How long does it take for a wave to travel the entire length of a string?

The time it takes for a wave to travel the entire length of a string is dependent on the speed of the wave and the length of the string. This can be calculated by dividing the length of the string by the speed of the wave, or by using the wave equation t = L/v, where t is the time, L is the length of the string, and v is the speed of the wave.

4. Can the speed of a wave on a string be changed?

Yes, the speed of a wave on a string can be changed by altering the tension or mass per unit length of the string. For example, tightening the string or decreasing its mass per unit length will increase the speed of the wave, while loosening the string or increasing its mass per unit length will decrease the speed of the wave.

5. How does the frequency of the wave affect its speed on a string?

The frequency of a wave does not directly affect its speed on a string. However, the frequency is related to the wavelength of the wave, which is inversely proportional to the speed. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa, but the speed of the wave remains constant as long as the tension and mass per unit length of the string are unchanged.

Back