How Long Does Light Take to Travel in Different Reference Frames?

In summary, a spaceship with a speed of 0.8c relative to Earth has a length of 300m in its own reference frame. In the reference frame of the spaceship, it takes 1.0*10^-6 seconds for a light pulse emitted from the tail to reach the nose. In the reference frame of Earth, this time can be calculated directly using the Lorentz transformations to be 1.40 * 10^-6 seconds. However, without using the Lorentz transform, it is not possible to determine the length of the spaceship in Earth's reference frame.
EngageEngage

Homework Statement

A spaceship has a speed of .8c relative to Earth. In its own reference fram, the length of this spaceship is 300m.
a.) consider a light emiited from the tail of this spaceship. In the reference frame of the spaceship, how long does this pulse take to reach the nose>
b.) In the reference frame of the Earth, how long does this take? Calculate this time directly from the motions of the spaceship and the light pulse; hen recalculate it by applying the Lorentz transformations to the result obtained in (a).

Homework Equations

[tex] t =\frac{t' + \frac{Vx'}{c^{2}}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{V^{2}}{c^{2}}}}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i have part a figured out.. All i did was divide 300 by c to get [tex] \Delta t' = 1.0*10^-6s[/tex]

b.) For this part, I cannot figure out how to do it without using the Lorentz transform directly like so:
[tex]t' = 1.0*10^-6s...
x' = 300m...
V = .8c
[/tex]

[tex] t =\frac{1.0*10^-6s + \frac{.8c(300m)}{c^{2}}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{(.8c)^{2}}{c^{2}}}}
= 1.40 * 10^-6s [/tex]

I cannot do this though without the lorentz transform. We haven't gone over length contraction yet, so I cannot use it to determine the length of the spaceship in Earth's reference frame. If anyone could please help me get started on this I would appreciate it greatly!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've been trying to manipulate the other lorentz equations ( in specific the ones for x), but i cannot find anything that will work. Once again, If someone could help me out here I would appreciate it

First of all, great job on part a! Your approach was correct and you got the right answer.

For part b, you can use the fact that the speed of light is the same in all reference frames. This means that the time it takes for the light pulse to travel from the tail to the nose of the spaceship should be the same in both the spaceship's reference frame and Earth's reference frame. In other words, the time interval t' in the spaceship's frame should be equal to the time interval t in Earth's frame.

So, using the equation t = x/c, where x is the distance traveled by the light pulse, we can solve for t in Earth's frame:
t = x/c = 300m/c = 1.0 * 10^-6 s

Now, to use the Lorentz transformations to calculate this time, we can use the equation you provided in your attempt:
t =\frac{t' + \frac{Vx'}{c^{2}}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{V^{2}}{c^{2}}}}

Plugging in the values:
t =\frac{1.0*10^-6s + \frac{(.8c)(300m)}{c^{2}}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{(.8c)^{2}}{c^{2}}}}
= 1.40 * 10^-6s

As you can see, we got the same result using both methods. This shows that the Lorentz transformations are a valid way to calculate time intervals in different reference frames. I hope this helps!

FAQ: How Long Does Light Take to Travel in Different Reference Frames?

1. What is a Lorentz transformation problem?

A Lorentz transformation problem is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the transformation of coordinates and time between two reference frames, in accordance with the principles of relativity and the Lorentz transformation equations.

2. Why is the Lorentz transformation important?

The Lorentz transformation is important because it is a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity, which helps explain the behavior of time and space in the presence of high speeds and strong gravitational fields.

3. How do you solve a Lorentz transformation problem?

To solve a Lorentz transformation problem, you need to first identify the two reference frames and the coordinates and time in each frame. Then, you can use the Lorentz transformation equations to calculate the transformed coordinates and time between the two frames.

4. What is the difference between a Lorentz transformation and a Galilean transformation?

A Lorentz transformation takes into account the effects of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, while a Galilean transformation does not. This means that the Lorentz transformation is valid for all speeds, while the Galilean transformation is only valid for low speeds.

5. Can the Lorentz transformation be applied to any reference frame?

Yes, the Lorentz transformation can be applied to any inertial reference frame, which is a frame of reference that is moving at a constant velocity with respect to an observer. It cannot be applied to non-inertial reference frames, such as those that are accelerating.

Back