How much oxygen escaped from the container?

In summary: Sorry for the confusion. The initial pressure is 4 atm and the final pressure is 3.5 atm, so the change in pressure is 0.5 atm. The initial mass of oxygen in the container is 341.1 g, and the final mass is 340.6 g. Therefore, the amount of oxygen that escaped is 0.5 g. In summary, the initial mass of oxygen in the container was 341.1 g and the final mass was 340.6 g, resulting in 0.5 g of oxygen escaping due to a decrease in pressure from 4 atm to 3.5 atm.
Karol

Homework Statement

Into a 56[liter] container oxigen is filled in with manometric pressure of 4[atm] and temp' 470C. what is the mass.
Then a leak happens and the pressure drops to 3.5[atm] and temp' 270C.
How much oxigen escaped.

Homework Equations

$$PV=nRT$$
$$R\left[\frac{liter\cdot atm'}{mole\cdot ^0K}\right]=0.08208$$
Atomic number O2=16

The Attempt at a Solution

The initial conditions: ##3[atm]\cdot 56[liter]=n\cdot 0.08208\cdot 320^0K\rightarrow n=6.4[mole]##
$$m=6.4\cdot 16=102.3[gr]$$
Second stage:
$$\frac{P_1V_1}{n_1T_1}=\frac{P_2V_2}{n_2T_2}\rightarrow\frac{P_1V_1}{m_1T_1}=\frac{P_2V_2}{m_2T_2}$$
Our volume is fixed, so: ##\frac{3}{102.3\cdot 320}=\frac{2.5}{m_2\cdot 300}\rightarrow m_2=90.97[gr]##
Is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:

Homework Statement

Into a 56[liter] container oxigen is filled in with manometric pressure of 4[atm] and temp' 470C. what is the mass.
Then a leak happens and the pressure drops to 3.5[atm] and temp' 270C.
How much oxigen escaped.

Homework Equations

$$PV=nRT$$
$$R\left[\frac{liter\cdot atm'}{mole\cdot ^0K}\right]=0.08208$$
Atomic number O2=16

The Attempt at a Solution

The initial conditions: ##3[atm]\cdot 56[liter]=n\cdot 0.08208\cdot 320^0K\rightarrow n=6.4[mole]##
$$m=6.4\cdot 16=102.3[gr]$$

Why did you calculate with 3 atm?
And the oxygen gas consists of O2 molecules. The atomic mass of oxygen is 16 g, but you have to work with the molar mass.

manometric pressure is the pressure above atmospheric, right? so i have to take absolute pressures, it's then 5 atm.
And the molar mass is 32[gr]
$$5[atm]\cdot 56[liter]=n\cdot 0.08208\cdot 320^0K\rightarrow n=10.7[mole]$$
$$m=10.7\cdot 32=341.1[gr]$$

Karol said:
manometric pressure is the pressure above atmospheric, right? so i have to take absolute pressures, it's then 5 atm.
And the molar mass is 32[gr]
$$5[atm]\cdot 56[liter]=n\cdot 0.08208\cdot 320^0K\rightarrow n=10.7[mole]$$
$$m=10.7\cdot 32=341.1[gr]$$

I know pressure above atmospheric as "gauge pressure". You have to know what manometric pressure is. I never heard that.

Yes, it's gauge pressure

Related to How much oxygen escaped from the container?

What are the potential dangers of a gas leak from a container?

A gas leak from a container can be extremely dangerous as it can lead to fire, explosions, and suffocation. Inhaling the leaked gas can also cause serious health issues.

How can I detect a gas leak from a container?

Some signs of a gas leak from a container include a strong odor, hissing or whistling sounds, and dead or discolored plants near the container. You can also use a gas detector to detect the presence of gas.

What should I do if I suspect a gas leak from a container?

If you suspect a gas leak from a container, immediately evacuate the area and contact the relevant authorities. Do not use any electronic devices or light switches and do not light a match or lighter.

How can I prevent gas leaks from a container?

To prevent gas leaks from a container, make sure to properly seal and secure the container. Regularly inspect the container for any signs of damage or corrosion. Follow all safety guidelines and procedures when handling and storing gas containers.

What should I do if I am exposed to a gas leak from a container?

If you are exposed to a gas leak from a container, immediately move to a well-ventilated area and seek medical attention. Make sure to remove any contaminated clothing and wash any exposed skin with soap and water.