How see through the glass + reflection at same time

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in visibility of reflections in a glass window during the day and night. One person asks for an explanation of the quantum mechanics behind it, while another suggests reading Feynman's book "QED: The strange theory of light and matter" for a layman-friendly explanation. The conversation concludes with the agreement that no quantum mechanics is needed to understand the phenomenon.
rxrus
When its day we can kind of see our reflection a little bit and also see outside, when its night we can fully see our reflection in the glass window.
Can someone explain quantum mechanics behind it because i think iv read an article long time ago on it but can't find it anymore.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what the article you read long ago was, but I do know that you will find the answer to your question in Feynmann's (very layman-friendly) book "QED: The strange theory of light and matter".

Likes rxrus and secur
rxrus said:
When its day we can kind of see our reflection a little bit and also see outside, when its night we can fully see our reflection in the glass window.
Can someone explain quantum mechanics behind it because i think iv read an article long time ago on it but can't find it anymore.
Why do you think this is a quantum effect? The transmission and reflection can be explained in classical optics by the Fresnel equations. The greater visibility of the reflection against a dark background is not a quantum effect either.

No quantum mechanics needed.

Why don't you see the stars during the day? I think the reason is similar.

Yes i am aware of classical physics explanation but i wanted to hear quantum physics side of it.
Nugatory i really like Feynman so i will read that book.

Related to How see through the glass + reflection at same time

1. How does glass allow us to see through it and also reflect at the same time?

Glass is made up of a transparent material, typically silica, that allows light to pass through it without significant distortion. However, it also has a smooth surface that can reflect light, creating a mirror-like effect. This combination of properties allows us to see through the glass and also see reflections on its surface.

2. Why do some glass surfaces reflect more light than others?

The amount of light that is reflected by a glass surface depends on its smoothness and the angle at which light hits it. The smoother the surface, the more light will be reflected. Additionally, the angle of incidence (the angle at which light hits the surface) affects the amount of light that is reflected. For example, a flat glass surface will reflect more light at a perpendicular angle than at an angle closer to parallel.

3. Can we see through all types of glass?

No, not all types of glass are transparent. Some types, such as frosted or tinted glass, have additives or treatments that make them less transparent or even opaque. Additionally, the thickness and quality of the glass can also affect its transparency. For example, thicker or lower quality glass may have more imperfections that can distort or block light, making it harder to see through.

4. How does the thickness of glass affect its transparency and reflectivity?

The thickness of glass can affect both its transparency and reflectivity. Thicker glass is less transparent because more light is absorbed or scattered as it passes through the material. However, thicker glass can also be more reflective because there is more surface area for light to bounce off of. This is why thicker glass is often used for mirrors.

5. Is there a way to make glass more reflective or less transparent?

Yes, there are various ways to alter the transparency and reflectivity of glass. For example, adding a reflective coating or film to one side of the glass can increase its reflectivity. Similarly, adding a tint or frosted treatment can decrease its transparency. However, altering the properties of glass can also affect its other properties, such as its strength or durability, so it is important to carefully consider the desired outcome before making any changes.