How to convert Gallons Per Hour to PSI?

In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of water flow rates and pressure in relation to choosing the right pump for a landscaping waterfall feature. The suggested approach is to estimate the total pressure needed by considering the lift height, pressure loss in the hose and filter, and adding a contingency. Then, a pump with a flow rate that can comfortably deliver the required pressure should be selected. Efficiency curves and safe operating area data can also be helpful in choosing the right pump.
Sia001
Hey all I am a newbi and wondering how to do this conversion. When i see a water pump which is 1400G/hour at that rate what would be the psi?

For example my garden hose is about 40psi and at that rate it would mean a curtain g/ph based on say a 15mm outlet radius.

Im trying to figure out what pump i need for my water fall feature for my pond, but as a the filter needs to sit bellow the pond i will need extra power for the water to travel up about 600mm and feed into a 300mm spillway, so i was trying to do a experiment with my garden hose and time to see how long it takes to fill say 2 gallons, based on a 40psi and 15mm outlet and 600mm hose held up 600mm high from the ground to see what sort of water flow i get so i can have an idea what sort of pump i need.

the pump I am looking at is 530g/h with power of 55W with 19mm outlet

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Pressure and flow are related somewhat by Bernoulli's equation, but more so on the details of the system. If the lift you need is 900mm, you can convert that to pressure easily enough by multiplying by the weight density of water. But as often as not, the pressure is actually expressed as the lift distance (head).

You can google for performance data/curves for landscaping waterfall pumps. There are lots and they are in the range that is typical for the application. They will say in the catalog information what the flow rate and pressure is...though you have to be a bit careful about that. Performance is a curve and the flow and pressure listed are often on opposite sides of the curve. You need to look specifically for the performance data.

Also, the wattage will depend on the flow and pressure.

Last edited:
Sia001 said:
the pump I am looking at is 530g/h with power of 55W with 19mm outlet

It's possible that the 530g/h figure is the maximum flow rate at zero pressure. It will have different flow rate at different pressure. See if there is a graph of pressure v flow rate for that pump.

To work out the pressure you need... First you need enough pressure to raise the water the height required. That's about 0.43psi per foot. So to raise water 3 foot you need at least 3*0.43 = 1.29 psi. However to that you also need to add the pressure lost in the hose/pipe and any filters.

This site shows that at 530g/h (=8.8g/min) the pressure loss down a 3/4" (19mm hose) is about 10psi/100ft or 1psi/10ft.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/water-pressure-loss-hose-d_1525.html

As for the loss in a filter you would have to estimate or ask the manufacture?

Add up the above to get the total pressure needed. Add some contingency for blocked filter or squashed pipe and you will get the total pressure required.

Then you need to look at pump data and pick a pump that can deliver the required flow rate at the calculated pressure. You want one that can do this comfortably (eg middle of the recommended range not one end). Some manufacturers might also give you efficiency curves or "safe operating area" data to help select the right pump.

FAQ: How to convert Gallons Per Hour to PSI?

1. How do I convert Gallons Per Hour (GPH) to Pounds per Square Inch (PSI)?

To convert GPH to PSI, you need to know the specific gravity of the liquid being pumped. Multiply the GPH by the liquid's specific gravity, then divide by 8.33 (the weight of one gallon of water in pounds) to get the corresponding PSI.

2. What is the formula for converting GPH to PSI?

The formula is: PSI = (GPH * specific gravity) / 8.33

3. Can I convert GPH to PSI without knowing the specific gravity?

No, the specific gravity is a necessary factor in the conversion from GPH to PSI. It is a measure of the liquid's density compared to water, and therefore affects the weight of the liquid per gallon.

4. Why is it important to convert GPH to PSI?

Converting GPH to PSI is important because it allows you to understand the pressure at which a liquid is being pumped through a system. This information is crucial in determining the efficiency and performance of the system, as well as ensuring the safety of the equipment and personnel.

5. Are there any online calculators or tools available for converting GPH to PSI?

Yes, there are many online calculators and conversion tools available for converting GPH to PSI. These can be helpful for quick and accurate conversions, but it is always important to double check the results and understand the formula behind the conversion.

Back