How to deal with this sum complex analysis?

In summary, the sum of residues is required in order to find the residue at 0, which is necessary for the solution to this problem. The factor of 2pi(i) in the residue theorem cancels out and the residue at 0 is found by summing over n>0 with a factor of 4.
Amad27

Homework Statement

ceme4.png

Homework Equations

Down

The Attempt at a Solution

As you see in the solution, I am confused as to why the sum of residues is required.

My question is the sum:

$$(4)\cdot\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\coth(\pi n)}{n^3}$$

Question #1:

-Why is the beginning n=1 the residue is for all $$n \in (-\infty, \infty)$$ so the beginning of the sum should be $$n=-\infty$$ right?

Question #2:

Also in the residue theorem, it states:

$$\oint_{C} f(z) dz = (2\pi i)(\sum \text{Res})$$

Where is the 2pi(i) gone in the solution of theirs?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Amad27 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

As you see in the solution, I am confused as to why the sum of residues is required.

My question is the sum:

$$(4)\cdot\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\coth(\pi n)}{n^3}$$

Question #1:

-Why is the beginning n=1 the residue is for all $$n \in (-\infty, \infty)$$ so the beginning of the sum should be $$n=-\infty$$ right?

Question #2:

Also in the residue theorem, it states:

$$\oint_{C} f(z) dz = (2\pi i)(\sum \text{Res})$$

Where is the 2pi(i) gone in the solution of theirs?

Thanks!

The limit of the contour integral is 0 as n->infinity. So the sum of all of the pole residues is 0. So ##2 \pi i## is a common factor of all of the residues. It cancels. The residue at 0 is the ##-7 \pi^3/45## part. For n>0 the residue is the same at n, -n, ni and -ni. So you can sum them all together by adding a factor of 4. The means you only have to sum over n>0.

FAQ: How to deal with this sum complex analysis?

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It involves the analysis of complex-valued functions, differentiation and integration of complex functions, and the study of complex variables and their properties.

2. How do I simplify complex sums in complex analysis?

Simplifying complex sums in complex analysis involves using algebraic techniques to manipulate the terms in the sum. This may include grouping like terms, using properties of complex numbers, and simplifying using identities such as Euler's formula.

3. What are some common techniques for solving complex sums in complex analysis?

Some common techniques for solving complex sums in complex analysis include using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, contour integration, and the residue theorem. These techniques involve using the properties of complex numbers and functions to evaluate complex sums and integrals.

4. Can I use a calculator or software to solve complex sums in complex analysis?

While calculators and software can be helpful tools in performing calculations, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and techniques of complex analysis. Relying solely on technology may hinder a deeper understanding of the subject.

5. How can I apply complex analysis to real-world problems?

Complex analysis has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It can be used to solve problems involving electric circuits, fluid dynamics, and signal processing, among others. Understanding the principles of complex analysis can also help in developing mathematical models for real-world phenomena.