How to Design an Elevating System for High-Temperature Fertilizer?

In summary: The elevator would have to be intrinsically safe, meaning it can't explode...Greetings, In summary, the student wants to know about some of his classmates' ideas for a system to continuously elevate a fertilizer in bulk. He has some ideas of his own, but ultimately wants to hear from others. He is also interested in extrinsically safe elevator systems.
Materiae Amans
Greetings,

For my school's project, I have to design an elevating system. Its main function is to continuously elevate a fertilizer disorderly and in bulk (rate of flow ~ 300 tonnes per hour, height of the elevator /course ~ 20 meters, the fertilizer is at 70°C, 5% humidity). My request is as follows : I'd like you guys to suggest any ideas for such a system, either simple or too complex to be considered. The main point is to correctly analyze the specifications and come up with several ideas for the system, to finally choose the most suitable one while justifying the rejection of the other options. Thanks in advance :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
(1) We would like to hear about some of your own ideas on this .

(2) There is certain to be information about existing elevator designs online . Try searching on 'grain elevators' and similar things to begin with .

So, my ideas are :

- A bucket elevator
- A pneumatic conveying system
- A huge vertical worm

All those ideas are feasible .

I like the worm idea best . Search 'screw conveyor' on Google Images to get some construction ideas .

Sketch a preliminary design and we'll have a look at it .

I checked it out, but my teammates and teacher weren't fans of the idea for the elevator. On the other hand, it seems like a great idea for the horizontal conveying system we have to pick as well, it seems more broadly used for that matter.

Designing an efficient pneumatic system for such a high a tonnage rate would be difficult I think . So that just leaves the bucket elevator .

Indeed, the maximum I've found was 200t/h

Any other ideas in mind?

Materiae Amans said:
Its main function is to continuously elevate a fertilizer disorderly and in bulk
Has your class discussed "Intrinsically Safe" systems and issues regarding explosions with such systems? How might those considerations guide your choice of conveyor systems? You are not transporting gravel in this application...

berkeman said:
Has your class discussed "Intrinsically Safe" systems and issues regarding explosions with such systems? How might those considerations guide your choice of conveyor systems? You are not transporting gravel in this application...
Not to my knowledge, what they pointed out is that the system should be chemically compatible with our fertilizer, which means the components shouldn't react with it...

FAQ: How to Design an Elevating System for High-Temperature Fertilizer?

1. What are the advantages of using an elevating system?

An elevating system can help save space, increase efficiency, and provide accessibility for people with mobility issues. It can also reduce the risk of accidents and injuries, and save time and effort in transporting heavy objects or materials.

2. What are the different types of elevating systems available?

There are several types of elevating systems, including hydraulic elevators, pneumatic elevators, cable-driven elevators, and roped elevators. Each type has its own benefits and may be suitable for different purposes.

3. How does an elevating system work?

An elevating system typically consists of a platform or car that moves up and down along a track or shaft, powered by a motor or hydraulic system. The car is usually connected to a counterweight, which helps balance the load and reduce the energy required to operate the system.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing an elevating system?

When choosing an elevating system, factors such as weight capacity, speed, space availability, and budget should be taken into consideration. It is also important to ensure that the system meets safety standards and regulations.

5. Can an elevating system be customized for specific needs?

Yes, elevating systems can be customized to fit specific needs and requirements. This can include features such as different platform sizes, specialized controls, and ADA-compliant options for accessibility. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the best customization options for your specific needs.