How to Identify the Correct Differential Equation for a Given Direction Field?

In summary: Your name]In summary, the forum member posted a question about a direction field and asked for help in determining the corresponding differential equation. After examining the direction field and given equations, it is concluded that the correct answer is y'=(x+1)(y-1), with an equilibrium solution of y=1 represented by the horizontal lines at x=1. The forum member is also reminded to ask for further clarification if needed.
ehabmozart

Homework Statement

I posted a similar type of question earlier. But somehow, i figured out how to do it. For this question however, I have no clues how to do it. The word document having the image is attached

Which of the following di erential equations corresponds to the direction field
shown below?

y'=x+y
y'=(x-1)(y-1)
y'=(x+1)(y-1)
y'=(x-1)(y-1)
y'=y-1

Homework Equations

This doesn't need a known equation rather than understading the direction field

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first glance I know that y = 1 is an equillibrium solution. However, I have no idea how to deal with the horizontal lines found at x=1? Any Help??

Attachments

• Picture.docx
    81.6 KB · Views: 194
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question. I am glad to hear that you were able to solve a similar problem earlier. I will do my best to help you with this new question.

After examining the direction field and the given equations, I believe that the correct answer is y'=(x+1)(y-1). This is because the direction field shows that the slope of the solutions increases as x increases and decreases as y increases. This is consistent with the equation y'=(x+1)(y-1), as the term (x+1) represents the increase in slope as x increases, and the term (y-1) represents the decrease in slope as y increases.

Regarding your question about the horizontal lines at x=1, they represent the equillibrium solution y=1. This means that any solution passing through these lines will have a slope of 0, as indicated by the direction field. This is consistent with the equation y'=(x+1)(y-1), as when y=1, the slope becomes 0.

I hope this helps with your understanding of the problem. Please let me know if you have any further questions or if you need clarification on any of the concepts. Good luck with your studies!

FAQ: How to Identify the Correct Differential Equation for a Given Direction Field?

1. What is a direction field in mathematics?

A direction field is a graphical representation of the slope or direction of a solution to a differential equation at different points on a coordinate plane. It is used to visualize the behavior of a solution to a differential equation without actually solving it.

2. How are direction fields useful in solving problems?

Direction fields help in understanding the general behavior of a solution to a differential equation, which can then be used to estimate or approximate the actual solutions. They also provide a visual representation of the relationship between the variables in a differential equation.

3. What is a problem in direction field?

A problem in direction field refers to a specific type of mathematical problem in which a differential equation is given, and the task is to sketch the direction field for the equation and use it to approximate a solution to the equation.

4. What are some common methods for solving problems in direction field?

There are several methods for solving problems in direction field, including Euler's method, the Runge-Kutta method, and the improved Euler method. These methods involve using the direction field to estimate the slope of the solution at different points and then using this information to approximate the solution.

5. Can direction fields be used for nonlinear differential equations?

Yes, direction fields can be used for both linear and nonlinear differential equations. However, in the case of nonlinear equations, the direction field may not accurately represent the behavior of the solution, and other methods may be needed for a more precise approximation.

Back