Implicit Solution To Differential Equation

In summary: The final differential equation solved for X given that 1 and -2X are solved for is $$ \ln(1-2X)(X-1) = t $$.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Verify that the indicated expression is an implicit solution of the given first order differential equation. Find at least one explicit solution in each case. Give an interval I of definition of each solution.

The differential equation is: [itex]\displaystyle \frac{dX}{dt} = (X -1)(1-2X)[/itex]

and the solution is [itex]\displaystyle \ln \left( \frac{2X-1}{X-1} \right) = t[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Implicitly differentiating gives

[itex]\displaystyle \ln(2X -1) - \ln(X-1) = t [/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\dot{X}}{2X-1} - \frac{\dot{X}}{X-1} = 1[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{2 \dot{X}(X-1)}{(2X-1)(X-1)} - \frac{\dot{X}(2X-1)}{(X-1)(2X-1)} = 1[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\dot{X}(2X-1-2X +1)}{(2X-1)(X-1)}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\dot{X} \cdot 0}{(2X-1)(X-1)} = 1[/itex]

What happened? What did I do wrong? According to this link http://rmower.com/s_diff_eq/Examples/0101p2.pdf I am incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{2 \dot{X}(X-1)}{(2X-1)(X-1)} - \frac{\dot{X}(2X-1)}{(X-1)(2X-1)} = 1[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\dot{X}(2X-1-2X +1)}{(2X-1)(X-1)}[/itex]
You error is in this step. You didn't distribute the factor of 2 correctly.

Bashyboy said:
What happened? What did I do wrong? According to this link http://rmower.com/s_diff_eq/Examples/0101p2.pdf I am incorrect.
In that link, I don't understand how they can go from
$$
\frac{2 dX}{2X-1} - \frac{dX}{X-1} = dt
$$
to
$$
2dX - dX = (2X-1)(X-1) dt
$$

Likes 1 person
Bashyboy said:
Implicitly differentiating gives

[itex]\displaystyle \ln(2X -1) - \ln(X-1) = t [/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\dot{X}}{2X-1} - \frac{\dot{X}}{X-1} = 1[/itex]

Try leaving $$ ln(\frac{1-2X}{X-1}) $$ as a a single logarithm and implicitly differentiating by the quotient rule. You should end up with
$$ 1 = (\frac{(-2X+2)-(1-2X)}{(1-2X)(X-1)})\frac{dX}{dt} $$
where you can simplify to prove that $$ t = ln(\frac{1-2X}{X-1})$$ is a particular solution where C = 0

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
DrClaude said:
You error is in this step. You didn't distribute the factor of 2 correctly.
In that link, I don't understand how they can go from
$$
\frac{2 dX}{2X-1} - \frac{dX}{X-1} = dt
$$
to
$$
2dX - dX = (2X-1)(X-1) dt
$$

$$\frac{-2dX}{1-2X} - \frac{dX}{X-1} \equiv \frac{dX}{(1-2X)(X-1)}$$
by partial fractions.

Therefore, by multiplying by $$(1-2X)(X-1)$$ we're left with
$$-2dX(X-1)-dX(1-2X) = (1-2X)(X-1)dt $$
$$ -2XdX + 2dX - dX + 2XdX = (1-2X)(X-1)dt $$ and our 2XdX's cancel out.

Last edited:
vanceEE said:
$$\frac{-2dX}{1-2X} - \frac{dX}{X-1} \equiv \frac{dX}{(1-2X)(X-1)}$$

Geez. I read ##(2X-1)## where it was written ##(1-2X)##. :redface:

DrClaude said:
Geez. I read ##(2X-1)## where it was written ##(1-2X)##. :redface:

The initial differential equation, independent of the assumption that X < 0 was $$ \frac{dX}{dt} = (1-2X)(X-1) $$

Last edited:

FAQ: Implicit Solution To Differential Equation

1. What is an implicit solution to a differential equation?

An implicit solution to a differential equation is a general solution that expresses the relationship between the dependent and independent variables without explicitly solving for the dependent variable. It is often in the form of an equation with both variables present, rather than a specific function.

2. How does an implicit solution differ from an explicit solution?

An explicit solution to a differential equation is a specific function that solves for the dependent variable in terms of the independent variable. It is a more direct and easier to interpret solution compared to an implicit solution, which involves more complex algebraic manipulation.

3. When is it necessary to use an implicit solution?

Implicit solutions are often used when an explicit solution cannot be found, or when the equation is too complex to solve for the dependent variable directly. They are also useful in cases where the equation involves multiple variables and it is not possible to isolate the dependent variable.

4. Can an implicit solution be converted to an explicit solution?

Yes, an implicit solution can be converted to an explicit solution through algebraic manipulation. This involves isolating the dependent variable on one side of the equation and simplifying the other side. However, this process can be difficult or even impossible for certain equations.

5. How is an implicit solution used in real-world applications?

Implicit solutions are used in various fields of science and engineering to model and predict real-world phenomena. They are particularly useful in cases where there are unknown variables or complex relationships between variables. Examples include modeling population growth, chemical reactions, and fluid dynamics.

Back