In which direction does the friction on the wheel go?

In summary, the conversation discusses the friction force of a wheel with an outer and inner ring that is being moved clockwise by an applied force. There is a discrepancy in the direction of the friction force, with one person suggesting it should be to the right and another saying it should be to the left. It is clarified that the friction force depends on the situation and can be in either direction. The conversation also brings up the concept of negative magnitude and how it can still be valid in analysis. Finally, it is mentioned that the direction of the friction force depends on the moment of inertia of the wheel.
PhyIsOhSoHard

Homework Statement

SMSNCHR.png

The following wheel consists of an outer ring (R) and an inner ring (r). The wheel moves clockwise by a force F applied to the inner ring as shown in the picture to make the wheel roll.
Draw the friction force.

Homework Equations

Nothing

The Attempt at a Solution

I could have sworn that if the wheel is turning clockwise as it moves, then the friction between it and the ground is drawn to the right because as it moves clockwise, the friction force would be directed counter-clockwise.

However my facit shows that the friction force is to the left:
l2ZjUNO.png

http://[URL]http://i.imgur.com/l2ZjUNO.png
Isn't this wrong? Shouldn't the friction force be drawn in the opposite direction? Or am I misunderstanding something here? (ignore the gravity and normal force in the drawing)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
The applied force F is causing the wheel to move to the right so the friction force f opposes that hence it points to the left.

Maybe this explanation will help:

http://www.phy.davidson.edu/fachome/dmb/PY430/Friction/rolling.html

Oh I see. If the situation was where the wheel was standing at rest and didn't move then the friction force would be to the right to prevent it from rolling but since the wheel is rolling that means our friction force is to the left, correct?

If "the friction force" means the force exerted by the wheel on the horizontal surface then it points one way. If "the friction force" means the force exerted by the surface on the wheel, then it points in the opposite direction.

Let's talk about the force exerted by the surface on the wheel. Thinking intutively, imagine what would happen without much friction. Would the wheel tend to "roll faster than it slides" or "slide faster than it rolls"? (i.e. is the tangential speed of a point on the perimeter of the wheel greater or less than the linear speed of the wheel.) My bias is toward visualizing "roll faster than it slides" due to familiarity with automobile wheels. However, I think you could have "slides faster than it rolls" situation if we imagine radius [itex] r [/itex] to be very small so the force [itex] F [/itex] is acting almost at the center of the wheel.

In analyzing problems, you can draw vectors in the wrong direction and still do a valid analysis if you interpret a negative magnitude as telling you that the direction of the vector is opposite to the way you drew it.

Forum member A.T. answered a similar question in the thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/investigation-of-a-rotating-cylinder.770027/#post-4847396

Likes PhyIsOhSoHard
PhyIsOhSoHard said:
if the wheel is turning clockwise as it moves, then the friction between it and the ground is drawn to the right
That suggests a misunderstanding that I don't see corrected in any of the posts so far. If it were merely rolling at constant speed, there would be no need for friction at all. But the unbalanced applied force implies that it will be accelerating, and that is why there may be a friction force at all.

As to which way it points, unless I've blundered, there's not enough information to decide. It will depend on whether the moment of inertia of the wheel is more or less than mRr.

Related to In which direction does the friction on the wheel go?

1. What is friction on a wheel?

Friction on a wheel is a force that acts between the wheel and the surface it is rolling on. It resists the motion of the wheel and causes it to slow down or stop.

2. In which direction does friction on the wheel go?

Friction on the wheel always acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the wheel. For example, if the wheel is rolling forward, the friction will act in the backward direction.

3. Does the direction of the wheel affect the direction of friction?

Yes, the direction of the wheel does affect the direction of friction. If the wheel is rolling in a different direction, the friction will also act in a different direction.

4. How does the weight of the object on the wheel affect friction?

The weight of the object on the wheel can affect friction by increasing or decreasing the force between the wheel and the surface, which in turn can affect the amount of friction. The heavier the object, the more friction there will be.

5. Can friction on the wheel be reduced or eliminated?

Friction on the wheel can be reduced by using lubricants or by using wheels with low friction materials. However, it cannot be completely eliminated as it is a natural force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact.

Back