Induced Emf in Rectangular Loop Problem

In summary, by applying Faraday's law and solving for the rate of change of the area enclosed by the rectangular loop, we can find the current flowing in the loop by using the equation emf = Bwv. In this case, the current is equal to Bwv, where B is the magnetic field strength, w is the width of the loop, and v is the speed at which the loop is pushed into the magnetic field.
ethanabaker1

Homework Statement

"You push a rectangular loop of width .2m, length .8 m, and resistance R=200[itex]\Omega[/itex] into a magnetic field (out of page) Bout=.4 T and a speed v=.2 m/s. The long side of the rectangle is parallel to the x axis. What is the current flowing in the loop?"

Homework Equations

I think I should use:
Emf=vBl
Ohm's Law - [itex]\Delta[/itex]V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equation emf=vBl, I did emf=(.02)(.8)(.4)=.0064.
Then I said that emf=[itex]\Delta[/itex]V, so using Ohm's Law I did [itex]\frac{.0064}{200\Omega}[/itex] and got 3.2 x 10-5 A as my answer.

My problem is that the only problems we've worked are for circular loops and I'm not sure what length to use for l.

Physics news on Phys.org
ethanabaker1 said:

Homework Statement

"You push a rectangular loop of width .2m, length .8 m, and resistance R=200[itex]\Omega[/itex] into a magnetic field (out of page) Bout=.4 T and a speed v=.2 m/s. The long side of the rectangle is parallel to the x axis. What is the current flowing in the loop?"

Homework Equations

I think I should use:
Emf=vBl
Ohm's Law - [itex]\Delta[/itex]V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equation emf=vBl, I did emf=(.02)(.8)(.4)=.0064.
Then I said that emf=[itex]\Delta[/itex]V, so using Ohm's Law I did [itex]\frac{.0064}{200\Omega}[/itex] and got 3.2 x 10-5 A as my answer.

My problem is that the only problems we've worked are for circular loops and I'm not sure what length to use for l.
Your equation is derived from Faraday's law. So apply Faraday's law explicitly:

[tex]emf = \oint \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{s} = \frac{d\phi}{dt} = B\frac{dA}{dt}[/tex]

All you have to do is work out dA/dt, the rate of change of the area enclosed by the loop. If l is the distance along the x-axis through which you have pushed the loop and w is the width of the loop what is dA/dt?

AM

How would I do this algebraically?

ethanabaker1 said:
How would I do this algebraically?
Since dA = wdx and w is constant, then dA/dt = w(dx/dt) = wv

So emf = Bwv

AM

Your attempt at a solution is correct. The length l in the equation emf=vBl refers to the length of the conductor in the magnetic field, which in this case is the long side of the rectangular loop. So your calculation of emf is correct, and then using Ohm's Law to find the current flowing in the loop is also correct. Good job!

FAQ: Induced Emf in Rectangular Loop Problem

1. What is induced emf in a rectangular loop?

Induced emf in a rectangular loop is the electromotive force that is generated when a magnetic field passes through a stationary rectangular loop, causing a change in the magnetic flux.

2. How is induced emf calculated in a rectangular loop?

Induced emf in a rectangular loop can be calculated using Faraday's law, which states that the induced emf is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of induced emf in a rectangular loop?

The magnitude of induced emf in a rectangular loop is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the area of the loop, the angle between the magnetic field and the loop, and the speed at which the magnetic field changes.

4. What is the direction of induced emf in a rectangular loop?

The direction of induced emf in a rectangular loop is determined by Lenz's law, which states that the direction of the induced current will be such that it opposes the change in magnetic flux that caused it.

5. How is induced emf used in real-world applications?

Induced emf in a rectangular loop is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in technologies such as wireless charging and electromagnetic induction cooktops.

Back