Integral of f(x)=cos(x)/sqrt(1+x^2) - Get Help Here!

• Thread starter dvdstvns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about a calculus problem involving solving for the integral of f(x)=cos(x)/sqrt(1+x^2). The integral is said to not exist or take too much computing time to solve, leading to the assumption that there may be a mistake in the problem. The full problem is stated as a true or false statement and the question is whether the integral is asking for the indefinite or definite integral. The conversation also includes a discussion on the sign of cos(x)/sqrt(1+x^2) in the interval [-1,1], with the conclusion that it is positive. However, it is mentioned that evaluating the integral is not necessary to answer the question. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use properties of
dvdstvns
I need to solve for the integral of f(x)=cos(x)/sqrt(1+x^2)
Integral calculating computers online all say that this integral doesn't exist or takes too much computing time to solve. This is only a calculus 1 problem so I imagine if the answer is too complicated then it was probably a mistake on the professors part. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the question asking for the indefinite or definite integral? I would guess that there is a typo if the only statement of the problem is [itex]\int\frac{\cos x}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}[/itex]

The full problem is:
True or false 0≤∫1-1 cos(x)/√1+x2

Mod edit: In a nicer format, this is
$$0 \leq \int_{-1}^1 \frac{cos(x)~dx}{\sqrt{1 + x^2}}$$

Last edited by a moderator:
How does cos(x)/√1+x2 look like in the interval [-1,1]? Is it positive or negative? You can perhaps conclude something based on that.

Well I know the answer to the problem is true, however, I'm trying to show the integral to show work, and I have no idea how to get the integral.

dvdstvns said:
Well I know the answer to the problem is true, however, I'm trying to show the integral to show work, and I have no idea how to get the integral.
You don't need to evaluate the integral to answer the question. In fact, you won't be able to evaluate the integral, either. The hint from disregardthat is a good place to start.

As Mark44 stated you won't solve this problem by solving this integral =(. Any decent calculus book should give you some useful properties of definite integrals and when order may be preserved. Apply that information to the hint, and you should be good to go!

FAQ: Integral of f(x)=cos(x)/sqrt(1+x^2) - Get Help Here!

1. What is the integral of f(x) = cos(x)/sqrt(1+x^2)?

The integral of f(x) = cos(x)/sqrt(1+x^2) is equal to arctan(x) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you solve the integral of f(x) = cos(x)/sqrt(1+x^2)?

To solve the integral of f(x) = cos(x)/sqrt(1+x^2), you can use the substitution method. Let u = 1 + x^2, then du = 2x dx. Substitute these values into the integral and use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral.

3. Can the integral of f(x) = cos(x)/sqrt(1+x^2) be solved using other methods?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to solve the integral of f(x) = cos(x)/sqrt(1+x^2), such as integration by parts or trigonometric substitution. However, the substitution method is usually the easiest and most efficient method for this integral.

4. What is the domain of f(x) = cos(x)/sqrt(1+x^2)?

The domain of f(x) = cos(x)/sqrt(1+x^2) is all real numbers. This is because both cos(x) and sqrt(1+x^2) are defined for all real numbers, and the division of these functions does not result in any restrictions on the domain.

5. Is there a special technique for solving integrals of the form f(x) = cos(x)/sqrt(1+x^2)?

Yes, there is a special technique called the trigonometric substitution method that can be used to solve integrals of the form f(x) = cos(x)/sqrt(1+x^2). This involves substituting trigonometric functions in place of x in the integral and then using trigonometric identities to simplify the integral. This method is useful when the integral contains a square root of a quadratic expression.