Integrating Double Integrals: A Calculus 1 Challenge

In summary, the problem involves finding the double integral of sin(y/x) bounded by x=0, y=π, and x=y^2. By making substitutions and using the special function Ci(z), the integral can be split into two parts and evaluated using integration by parts. The result cannot be simplified in terms of elementary functions and can be approximated numerically using a power series.
Mentallic
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

find [tex]\int\int_D sin\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)dA[/tex] bounded by [tex]x=0, y=\pi, x=y^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've only studied calculus 1, this problem is for my friend. I did read up briefly on double integrals however and this is why I'm stuck:

From the limits and where the graphs intersect, we have:

[tex]\int_0^{\pi^2}\int_{\sqrt{x}}^{\pi}sin\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)dydx[/tex]

then integrating and evaluating the inside part:

[tex]\int_0^{\pi^2}\left(-xcos\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right)+xcos\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}\right)\right)dx[/tex]

But finding the integral of that seems impossible. I also tried reversing the order of integration, but come up with the same problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mentallic said:
then integrating and evaluating the inside part:

[tex]\int_0^{\pi^2}\left(-xcos\left(\frac{\pi}{x}\right)+xcos\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}\right)\right)dx[/tex]

But finding the integral of that seems impossible. I also tried reversing the order of integration, but come up with the same problem.

I think you'll have to make use of the special function

[tex]\text{Ci}(z)\equiv-\int_z^\infty\frac{\cos(t)}{t}dt[/tex]

called the Cosine integral

Just split the integral into two and make the substitution [itex]u=\frac{\pi}{x}[/itex] for the first, and [itex]u=\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}[/itex] for the second.

gabbagabbahey said:
I think you'll have to make use of the special function

[tex]\text{Ci}(z)\equiv-\int_z^\infty\frac{\cos(t)}{t}dt[/tex]

called the Cosine integral

Just split the integral into two and make the substitution [itex]u=\frac{\pi}{x}[/itex] for the first, and [itex]u=\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}[/itex] for the second.

Ok, let me try this...

[tex]u=\frac{\pi}{x}, x=\frac{\pi}{u}, dx=\frac{-\pi}{u^2}du[/tex]

[tex]v=\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}, x=\frac{1}{v^2}, dx=\frac{-2}{v^3}dv[/tex]

So substituting all this in:

[tex]\pi^2\int_0^{\pi^2}\frac{cosu}{u^3}du+2\int_{\pi^2}^{0}\frac{cosv}{v^5}dv[/tex]

But I'm unsure how to apply the fact that [tex]Ci(z)=\int\frac{cosz}{z}dz[/tex] to this expression.

Mentallic said:
So substituting all this in:

[tex]\pi^2\int_0^{\pi^2}\frac{cosu}{u^3}du+2\int_{\pi^2}^{0}\frac{cosv}{v^5}dv[/tex]

But I'm unsure how to apply the fact that [tex]Ci(z)=\int\frac{cosz}{z}dz[/tex] to this expression.

First, you need to change your limits of integration, since ytou are no longer integrating over [itex]x[/itex]. Second, there's no need too use two different variables since [itex]\int_a^b f(v)dv=\int_a^b f(u)du[/itex] (i.e. for definite integral, the integration variable is essentially a dummy variable)

You should end up with

[tex]\int\int_D \sin\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)dA=-\pi^2\int_{\frac{1}{\pi}}^\infty\frac{\cos u}{u^3}du+2\int_{\frac{1}{\pi}}^\infty\frac{\cos u}{u^5}du[/tex]

Use integration by parts twice on each.

Oh yes of course, thanks that's really helpful :smile:

Obviously integrating by parts will give a big long expression and looking at it now, I'm not even going to think about posting it here. Taking [itex]\infty[/itex] as one of the limits of the integration cancels out a lot.

But one more thing, can [tex]cos\left(\frac{1}{\pi}\right)[/tex] be expressed more simply? And how do I evaluate the [tex]Ci\left(\frac{1}{\pi}\right)[/tex]?

Mentallic said:
But one more thing, can [tex]cos\left(\frac{1}{\pi}\right)[/tex] be expressed more simply?

No.

And how do I evaluate the [tex]Ci\left(\frac{1}{\pi}\right)[/tex]?

Same way you evaluate [itex]e[/itex] (the base of the natural logarithm) or [itex]\pi[/itex]; approximate it numerically to arbitrary precision using a power series. In other words, just leave it as is. It can't be simplified in terms of elementary functions.

Yes of course, but it's just that I don't know what the power series for Ci(z) is and I'm afraid my calculator doesn't have a button for it either :biggrin:

And sometimes including numerical approximations are a nice addition to the big long expression.

Just use a better calculator:smile:

I'm sure Wolfram alpha (Google it) will have no problem giving you a numerical approximation. Alternatively, I'd venture a guess that you could look up the power series online and find it quickly.

FAQ: Integrating Double Integrals: A Calculus 1 Challenge

1. What is the purpose of integrating double integrals?

The purpose of integrating double integrals is to find the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space. It allows us to calculate the total amount of a quantity, such as mass or charge, over a given region.

2. How do you set up a double integral?

To set up a double integral, you must first determine the limits of integration for both the inner and outer integrals. This is done by identifying the region of integration and finding the appropriate bounds for each variable. Then, you can use the appropriate integration order (either dx dy or dy dx) and integrate the function over the specified region.

3. What is the difference between a single integral and a double integral?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve in two-dimensional space, while a double integral is used to find the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space. In a single integral, we are integrating over one variable, whereas in a double integral, we are integrating over two variables.

4. How do you know which integration order to use?

The integration order depends on the type of region you are integrating over. If the region is easier to describe in terms of x, then you should use dx dy. If the region is easier to describe in terms of y, then you should use dy dx. Additionally, the function being integrated may also influence the choice of integration order.

5. Can you use double integrals to solve real-world problems?

Yes, double integrals can be used to solve a variety of real-world problems, such as calculating the total mass of an object with a varying density or finding the electric charge within a given region. They are a powerful tool in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, economics, and biology.

Back