Intro Physics Question: Avoiding Collision on NY State Thruway at 106.8 km/hr

In summary, while driving at a constant speed of 106.8 km/hr on the New York State Thruway, you encounter a car in front of you that suddenly applies its brakes for maximum acceleration. After a 1 second delay due to reaction time, you also apply your brakes to achieve the same maximum acceleration. To avoid a collision, you would need to be a certain distance behind the car in front of you, which can be calculated using the standard physics equations provided in the given link.
sabresfan2000
You are driving along the New York State Thruway in
a line of cars all traveling at a constant speed of 106.8 km/hr.
The car in front of you applies its brakes for maximum accelera-
tion. You then apply your brakes to achieve the same maximum
acceleration after only a 1 s delay due to reaction time. What
distance behind the car in front of you must you be to avoid a
collision?

Physics news on Phys.org
When I want to make MY car accelerate, I hit the gas. I find it very weird that you hit the brakes to accelerate.

FAQ: Intro Physics Question: Avoiding Collision on NY State Thruway at 106.8 km/hr

1. What is physics?

Physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world and uses mathematical equations to describe and predict physical phenomena.

2. What are the basic principles of physics?

The basic principles of physics include Newton's laws of motion, the law of conservation of energy, the law of conservation of momentum, and the principles of relativity and quantum mechanics. These principles form the foundation of physics and are used to explain a wide range of natural phenomena.

3. What are the different branches of physics?

Some of the major branches of physics include classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and quantum mechanics. Other specialized branches include astrophysics, biophysics, and nuclear physics.

4. How is physics relevant to everyday life?

Physics has many practical applications in our daily lives, such as the design of technology and machines, understanding weather patterns, and developing medical treatments. It also helps us understand the laws and principles that govern the natural world, allowing us to make informed decisions about our environment and society.

5. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

One common misconception is that physics is only for geniuses or highly gifted individuals. In reality, anyone can learn and understand the basic principles of physics with dedication and effort. Another misconception is that physics is only relevant to theoretical concepts and has no real-world applications. However, physics has countless practical applications that impact our daily lives.

Back