Is Everything outside the local group moving away from us?

In summary, the local group is a cluster of galaxies closest to our own that includes the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies. The expansion of the universe causes everything outside the local group to move away from us, which is observed through the redshift of light from distant galaxies. This expansion is also accelerating, as shown by studying the light from distant supernovae. Eventually, everything will be too far away for us to see, but this is estimated to happen billions of years from now.
unwillingly ignorant
This is a simple question but i keep finding conflicting answers and don't understand scientific and mathamatical language well enough to consult reliable data.. 'Cause I'm a dunce.

So, is EVERYTHING outside the local group leaving us, or are some things in the virgo supercluster contracting? For example, is M81 coming or going?

Space news on Phys.org
unwillingly ignorant said:
So, is EVERYTHING outside the local group leaving us

No. M86 is not. I believe M81 is not as well, but I am certain about M86.

Likes unwillingly ignorant
Ok, cool, thanks.

FAQ: Is Everything outside the local group moving away from us?

1. What is the local group?

The local group is a cluster of galaxies that includes the Milky Way galaxy, Andromeda galaxy, and several other smaller galaxies. It is the group of galaxies closest to our own.

2. Why is everything outside the local group moving away from us?

This phenomenon is known as the expansion of the universe. The universe is constantly expanding, and as a result, all objects in the universe are moving away from each other, including those outside the local group.

3. How do scientists know that everything is moving away from us?

Scientists have observed the redshift of light from distant galaxies. This redshift is caused by the Doppler effect, which occurs when objects are moving away from each other. The greater the distance, the greater the redshift, indicating that the objects are moving away from us.

4. Is the expansion of the universe accelerating?

Yes, observations have shown that the expansion of the universe is indeed accelerating. This discovery was made by studying the light from distant supernovae, which showed that the rate of expansion is increasing over time.

5. Will everything eventually be too far away for us to see?

If the current rate of expansion continues, then yes, eventually everything will be too far away for us to see. However, it is estimated that this will not happen for billions of years, so there is still plenty of time for us to observe the universe.