Is it weird to give a thank-you gift for letters of recommendation?

In summary, the speaker is considering giving a gift to their professors for writing them a letter of recommendation, but they are unsure if it would be appropriate. They suggest bringing in cookies or goodies for the whole department instead, but mention that there may be concerns about the authenticity of the recommendation letter. However, they believe that the gesture would be well received and suggest asking for evidence if there are any concerns.
Dishsoap
I noticed that there is another thread on this, however my situation is a bit different in that I am only a junior so it is very possible I will be asking these professors for a letter of recommendation again. I think that a gift card or something similar would be a bit inappropriate (though I did buy a gift card for my internship supervisor who I will never see again), but I just made cookies, and didn't know if it would be appropriate to each give them a dozen or so. I am in a very small physics department in the US, so all of my professors know me quite well.

Anyway... thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not bring in a box of cookies or goodies for the whole department instead and says thanks for everything they've done and taught you?

Technically a gift in exchange for a letter of reference can call into question the authenticity of the reference letter. And officially your department may have a strict policy against something like this.

That said, for all practical purposes I don't think anyone would bat an eyelash at some cookies as a thank-you.

Besides, this is a scenario that can end very succinctly with the phrase, "what evidence?"

Related to Is it weird to give a thank-you gift for letters of recommendation?

What is the proper etiquette for giving a thank-you gift for letters of recommendation?

It is generally considered appropriate to express gratitude for a letter of recommendation, but it is not necessary to give a gift. A simple thank-you note or email is often enough. However, if you do choose to give a gift, it should be small and thoughtful, such as a gift card or a small token of appreciation.

Why do people give thank-you gifts for letters of recommendation?

People often give thank-you gifts as a way to show appreciation and gratitude for the time and effort the person put into writing the letter. It is also a way to strengthen the relationship and potentially increase the chances of receiving a positive recommendation in the future.

Is it considered bribery to give a thank-you gift for a letter of recommendation?

No, it is not considered bribery as long as the gift is given after the letter has been written and has no influence on the content of the letter. The gift should also be given as a token of appreciation rather than a way to influence the outcome of the recommendation.

Should I give a thank-you gift to every person who writes me a letter of recommendation?

It is not necessary to give a gift to every person who writes you a letter of recommendation. If you have a close relationship with the person or they have gone above and beyond in writing the letter, a thank-you gift may be appropriate. Otherwise, a thank-you note or email is sufficient.

What are some alternative ways to express gratitude for a letter of recommendation?

In addition to giving a thank-you gift, there are other ways to express gratitude for a letter of recommendation. These include writing a heartfelt thank-you note or email, sending a small gift or token of appreciation, or simply verbally expressing your thanks in person or over the phone.