Is Math an Invention or a Natural Phenomenon?

• Thread starter sonicelectron
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation focused on the question of whether math is invented or discovered. The participants discussed the definition of "invented" and "discovered" in the context of math. Some argued that math is an invention of humans, while others believed it is a discovery based on principles existing in nature. The conversation also touched on the history of mathematics and the role of logic in its development. Overall, it was concluded that math is a combination of both invention and discovery, and that it is a fundamental aspect of nature.
sonicelectron
Hi everyone, I'm new here so, hello. I guess for my first thread, I'd like to ask whoever thinks math is invented, how do they define "invented"?

Physics news on Phys.org
sonicelectron said:
Hi everyone, I'm new here so, hello. I guess for my first thread, I'd like to ask whoever thinks math is invented, how do they define "invented"?

Welcome to the PF.

What is your background in math? What year are you in school? Are you familiar with Peano's Axioms?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peano_axioms

That's a good place to start to understand the basis of mathematics IMO.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What is your background in math? What year are you in school? Are you familiar with Peano's Axioms?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peano_axioms

That's a good place to start to understand the basis of mathematics IMO.

I guess you can say I'm pretty rusty. Highest math I know or "used to know" was diff eq and linear algebra.

sonicelectron said:
In this context "invented" means created by humans for humans, but based on principles existing in nature.

The simple act of counting is an invention. Things aren't counted in nature, they aren't assigned a number between zero and whatever upper limit is operative. The whole notion of keeping a tally is a human one.

zoobyshoe said:
In this context "invented" means created by humans for humans, but based on principles existing in nature.

The simple act of counting is an invention. Things aren't counted in nature, they aren't assigned a number between zero and whatever upper limit is operative. The whole notion of keeping a tally is a human one.

Thanks for the response. Is there a context in which you think "mathematics" leans more towards discovery than a human creation?

IMO, all knowledge is a human creation.

By using a few axioms or propositions, one can create a mathematical structure, which may or may not mimic nature. The ancient Greeks, in particular Euclid, started with a handful of propositions, postulates and definitions and constructed a geometry which was thought to describe the Earth and the measure of all earthly things.

One of Euclid's postulates, the Fifth, or Parallel, Postulate, caused trouble from the start, almost as soon as the ink was dry on Euclid's 'Elements'. Centuries later, mathematicians like Gauss, Bolyai, and Lobachevsky, were able to show that by altering Euclid's Fifth Postulate, whole new geometries could be derived.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Euclidean_geometry

By showing that whole new mathematical structures could be derived after changing a few key aspects, mathematicians got to thinking in more depth about the nature of mathematics.

sonicelectron said:
Thanks for the response. Is there a context in which you think "mathematics" leans more towards discovery than a human creation?

Only in the sense you could say Edison "discovered" that sound could be recorded.

So basically, correct me if I'm wrong (it's late), what I'm seeing here so far is that math is merely a set a tools and curiosities created by humans.

sonicelectron said:
So basically, correct me if I'm wrong (it's late), what I'm seeing here so far is that math is merely a set a tools and curiosities created by humans.
Well, your opening post asks for responses from people who think it's an invention.

zoobyshoe said:
Well, your opening post asks for responses from people who think it's an invention.

I'm just trying to sum up a basic definition based off of the responses so far.

I actually should have made the opening post, "Math is invented because _______."

I think your attempt to categorize math as discovered or invented is just an exercise in semantics and not particularly helpful. Those words tend to get very fuzzy sometimes.

The axioms and definitions are invented, the rest is discovered :-p

Medicol said:

That's a pretty one-sided view of the article you linked to since the first sentence in it is
The area of study known as the history of mathematics is primarily an investigation into the origin of discoveries in mathematics

Mathematics is logic represented in formal language. Obviously, the formal language is man-made. The logic is with any intelligent form, not just with humans. The prey decides to defend or escape based on the number of predators. It must be able to do the "<", ">" logic in some primitive way .

Basic logic, distinguishing up to (about) five objects, and being able to distinguish "none" and "many", give us some numbers and basic operations. These, and a few other basic abilities, are given to us by evolution, and give us the beginning of mathematics. You need to start with something!

From most animal films I've seen, the prey doesn't usually act based on *number* of predators. One lion will get you running just as fast as two! Maybe an elephant needs to distinguish "number of lions". Above a few it might decide to amble away. The evolution of being able to distinguish instantly between (say) 4 and 6 objects must (surely) have many causes. It might be caused through gathering activities, as much as prey avoidance.

For instance, if you see a number of apple trees to the left, and a similar number to the right, it might be useful to know six trees from four. If there are many trees, I guess the ability to see that one wood is significantly bigger than another wood, is also useful. But we can't see that there are exactly (say) 67 trees, so I guess the ability to distinguish (say) 65 from 67 just wasn't useful in biological evolution.

Last edited:
phinds said:
I think your attempt to categorize math as discovered or invented is just an exercise in semantics and not particularly helpful. Those words tend to get very fuzzy sometimes.
I don't think it's an exercise in semantics. It's very easy to feel that Nature is built on mathematics, that the fundamental relationship of everything to everything else is mathematical. I believe it was Galileo who concluded (something like): "God is a mathematician!" Newton seemed to agree.

There are plenty of examples of things that would make people think this way. Take the fact that musical overtones automatically take the form of integer multiples of the fundamental.

The so-called Pythagoreans, who were the first to take up mathematics, not only advanced this subject, but saturated with it, they fancied that the principles of mathematics were the principles of all things.

—Aristotle, Metaphysics 1–5 , cc. 350 BC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagoras

zoobyshoe said:
I don't think it's an exercise in semantics. It's very easy to feel that Nature is built on mathematics, that the fundamental relationship of everything to everything else is mathematical. I believe it was Galileo who concluded (something like): "God is a mathematician!" Newton seemed to agree.

What does mathematics have to do with feeling?

The Inquisition were famous for torturing inane statements out of Galileo.

Leopold Kronecker: "God made the integers; all else is the work of man".

Here, I think, Kronecker is making ironic use of the "God concept", and simplifying the actuality, somewhat, to counter Galileo with an equally simple sentence. In that sentence, replace "God" by "evolution" and "the integers" by "between 5 and 9 integers, and a few other simple concepts" and this statement appears reasonable.

mal4mac said:
What does mathematics have to do with feeling?
My post was about what semantics has to do with feeling, not mathematics.

I think I'm with phinds on this one. I think this topic is very semantically confusing. Even one person thinking about it on their own is bad enough, but when you have two people or more, each using their own meaning, chaos is bound to be the result. Well, that's philosophy for you. But here's my take on it.

There are certain aspects of math that are very clearly invented, such as the notation and maybe the axioms, but it gets a little wishy-washy beyond that. Invention suggests freedom to choose. If that's what invented means, no, it's not completely invented. But maybe you allow for some restrictions, as with inventing a new gadget, in order to get it to work properly. Discovery is a term that evokes comparisons with scientific discoveries. In spirit, I think it's more like discovery, to my mind.

Think about tic-tac-toe. The rules are made up, but initially, it might not be obvious that the first player can always win or draw if the opponent plays right. You DISCOVER that you can always draw because you didn't know it at first. It doesn't make sense to me to say that we invented the fact that you can always draw. No, we just figured it out. That's the same sense in which we discovery new formulas and theorems in mathematics (and, in fact, you could formulate tic tac toe in terms of mathematical axioms and proof, if you wanted). That's the general idea. We postulate blah blah blah, which is an invention, perhaps abstracted from and inspired by things in nature or in our own thought processes, and then we discover that if blah blah blah, then more blah blah blah follows. So, we invent the axioms, perhaps, we invent the rules of deduction, but theorems are discovered, if you are going to use the terms invented and discovered in a way that makes sense to me, at least.

phinds said:
I think your attempt to categorize math as discovered or invented is just an exercise in semantics...

Interesting point. Was the wheel discovered or invented? Was 17 discovered or invented? A caveman mathematician might have learned to count up to 16, and made the next step - did he invent 17? If he found a bunch of shells and counted them up to 16 and realized there was one more he might have said, "I'll call that 17, I've just invented 17". But has he really invented 17, or discovered it? But, certainly, 17 isn't "God given"; it doesn't exist in a kind of "Platonic heaven" as some would have it.

homeomorphic said:
Think about tic-tac-toe. The rules are made up, but initially, it might not be obvious that the first player can always win or draw if the opponent plays right. You DISCOVER that you can always draw because you didn't know it at first. It doesn't make sense to me to say that we invented the fact that you can always draw.

What if the guy who invented tic-tac-toe started out by trying to invent a game in which optimal players would always draw? Subsequent players might discover they can only draw, but this "feature" was actually invented.

I guess that a theist could argue that theorems are invented by God. Atheists suggest that in an infinite multiverse all possible theorems are created. So no human inventor is needed. But then you might say, speaking a bit loosely, that "the universe" invented the theorems. But it took humans to disover them. So they are invented and discovered!

So, we invent the axioms, perhaps, we invent the rules of deduction, but theorems are discovered, if you are going to use the terms invented and discovered in a way that makes sense to me, at least.

So, I disagree. The universe invented the axioms, rules of deduction, and theorems. But we discovered them.

SteamKing said:
IMO, all knowledge is a human creation.

Sounds good to me. Math is an invention. That doesn't degrade or lessen it in any way. Also, there certainly can be discovery and experimentation with our inventions.

What if the guy who invented tic-tac-toe started out by trying to invent a game in which optimal players would always draw? Subsequent players might discover they can only draw, but this "feature" was actually invented.

Good point. So, we should probably say it's both invented and discovered, depending on factors like that, taking into account that the invention of the rules might be prompted by some features of the game. Some theorems in math are like that, too, I think. You sometimes come up with the axioms that will give you the theorems that you want. But I think the majority of the theorems are things you have to discover about the game, rather than what the rules were intended to do.
I guess that a theist could argue that theorems are invented by God. Atheists suggest that in an infinite multiverse all possible theorems are created. So no human inventor is needed. But then you might say, speaking a bit loosely, that "the universe" invented the theorems. But it took humans to disover them. So they are invented and discovered!

Well, I'm not sure the word invention has any meaning if you are going to postulate that every invention has already been invented.
So, I disagree. The universe invented the axioms, rules of deduction, and theorems. But we discovered them.

Well, that might be considered true because the universe invented us. This is where the semantics start getting really annoying. I would still consider axioms to be invented because at some point, someone had to make up the rules of the game in accordance with my tic-tac-toe analogy. Inventing sounds like a more apt term to describe a task such as coming up with the rules of a game. If you are going to say it's not invented because it's been done before, I'm not sure the word invention has any meaning. Anything that anyone invented could actually be a reinvention, even just taking into account the possibility of alien civilizations.

homeomorphic said:
Invention suggests freedom to choose. If that's what invented means, no, it's not completely invented. But maybe you allow for some restrictions, as with inventing a new gadget, in order to get it to work properly. Discovery is a term that evokes comparisons with scientific discoveries. In spirit, I think it's more like discovery, to my mind.
Earlier when I said "...Edison discovered sound could be recorded," I would hope everyone realized this was a strained use of the word "discover". Of course, he had to make some sort of discovery about the physics of sound before he could invent a sound recording machine, but his accomplishment lies in inventing a practical way to do it. Since his time many more practical ways of recording sound have been invented. It's been recorded optically, magnetically, and now digitally. These are human inventions because there is no digitally recorded sound out there to be discovered in nature. Recorded sound was invented by man for man.

I think the same goes for integers, fractions, calculus, etc. They are anthro-specific tools, inventions.

zoobyshoe said:

One could argue that the number of fingers is encoded in DNA and, although there is no conscious counting going on, nature is in a sense keeping track of how many fingers we have. And, recording this in the DNA.

And, of course, the Fibonacci numbers tend to crop up in nature.

And, the planets orbit in ellipses. Even if the precise, mathematical definition of an ellipse is a human invention; the underlying shape is found in nature.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
One could argue that the number of fingers is encoded in DNA and, although there is no conscious counting going on, nature is in a sense keeping track of how many fingers we have. And, recording this in the DNA.
OK, but do humans count things because they observed DNA keeping track of the number of fingers we have? Is counting something we discovered in nature and copied?

And, of course, the Fibonacci numbers tend to crop up in nature.
There are some amazing mathematical patterns found occurring naturally. This is excellent fuel for the thinkers who conclude math is the foundation of Nature/The Universe, and that we merely discover it.

And, the planets orbit in ellipses. Even if the precise, mathematical definition of an ellipse is a human invention; the underlying shape is found in nature.
I look at the sky at night once in a while and have never observed an ellipse up there. It took man thousands of years of observation and measurement to realize the shape of an ellipse is implied in orbits and to invent the tools whereby that implication can be treated as a static geometric fact, and the motion analyzed: "Equal areas are swept in equal times," and so on. IMO it's invention to make use of models for things we can't directly observe.

zoobyshoe said:
There are some amazing mathematical patterns found occurring naturally. This is excellent fuel for the thinkers who conclude math is the foundation of Nature/The Universe, and that we merely discover it

If we take mathematics to be a highly accurate language (and the system of rules for interpreting that language) the patterns are themselves just semantic representations of the thing they describe. Much like the word "organism" is not actually an organism.

Things like pi were discovered, but only as a property of circles, which are more of an idealization of nature. To some extent, you could argue the Euclidian space is the nature we are studying in mathematics. But again, Euclidian space is inly a representation of reality.

sonicelectron said:
Math is a language made to simplify the physics around us, and to make trading an easy job.In addition to this, math does exist by nature but we are who conclude it; between parenthesis WE INVENT.

Pythagorean said:
If we take mathematics to be a highly accurate language (and the system of rules for interpreting that language) the patterns are themselves just semantic representations of the thing they describe. Much like the word "organism" is not actually an organism.
I'm confused. The "language" is being spoken by whom or what? Are you saying Nature is speaking when a fibonacci sequence turns up in a plant seed pod?

zoobyshoe said:
I'm confused. The "language" is being spoken by whom or what? Are you saying Nature is speaking when a fibonacci sequence turns up in a plant seed pod?

Humans. Humans use the fibbonacci sequence as one way to represent what turns up in nature.

Pythagorean said:
Humans. Humans use the fibbonacci sequence as one way to represent what turns up in nature.
So, you're saying math is neither invention nor discovery. It's language.

Math is invented, discovered, and even naturally occurring (like natural languages) where notations and conventions in semantics arise.

It's more like an invented language than a natural language, but the inventions are such that they have discoverable repercussions. Like pi being the discovery of an invented ideal (the circle/sphere).