Is the x-component of vector B negative when using the component method?

• Thread starter link107
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the question asks for the magnitude and direction of a man's net displacement after walking 5 m at 37 degrees north of east and then 10 m at 60 degrees west of north. The answer is approximately 9.3 m at an angle of 120 degrees on the positive x-axis. The conversation also discusses using the component method to solve the problem and confirms that the x-component of vector B should be negative.
link107

Homework Statement

1. Homework Statement
A man walks 5 m at 37degrees north of east and then 10 m at 60degrees
west of north. What is the magnitude and direction of his net
displacement

The answer is around 9.3m at around 120 degrees angle on the +x axis

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well my question is I try to solve this component using the component way This is my work

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/vectorsproblem2question.png/

My question is that for vector B the ax is sin60(10)=8.66

so when I do my i j notation can I put -8.66 since it's pointing towards west which is going towards the negative x coordinate?

Thank you guys for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Yes, you are correct in your thinking. When using the component method, the x-component of vector B would be negative since it is pointing towards the negative x-coordinate. This is because we typically define the positive x-axis to be pointing to the right and the negative x-axis to be pointing to the left.

In your notation, you would write vector B as -8.66i + 0j, since the y-component is 0 in this case.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Is the x-component of vector B negative when using the component method?

1. What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They are represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with a length proportional to its magnitude.

2. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. For example, velocity is a vector quantity because it has both speed (magnitude) and direction, while temperature is a scalar quantity because it only has magnitude.

3. How are vectors used in physics?

Vectors are used in physics to represent physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity, force, and acceleration. They are also used to calculate the net force and displacement in a system.

4. Can vectors be added or subtracted?

Yes, vectors can be added or subtracted by using the parallelogram law. This involves placing the tails of the vectors together, drawing a parallelogram, and then the diagonal of the parallelogram represents the resultant vector.

5. What is the importance of understanding vectors?

Understanding vectors is important in many fields of science and engineering. It allows us to accurately describe and analyze physical phenomena, solve problems involving forces and motion, and make predictions about the behavior of systems.

Back