Is there a definitive measurement in the universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of uncertainty in measurements, using the example of a ruler and a rope. It is mentioned that there is always some degree of uncertainty in measurements due to limitations of measuring devices and the uncertainty principle. The question of whether humans or the universe are the source of this uncertainty is raised, with the conclusion that it is not useful to assign blame. The conversation also touches on the idea that there is no such thing as an exact measurement in the universe, leading to the question of whether there is a perfect ruler or not. Ultimately, it is stated that there is no perfect ruler because the concept of exactness does not exist in the universe.
Quarlep
In Every measurement there must be uncertanity.In length or In time everything.Lets assume we have a ruler and a rope.If I measure the rope I get a result but I can't say this is exactly true because there's a unncertanity in measurement.Lets suppoe the rope is 100 cm minus or plus 0.5 mm.The same thing as time or mass and another measurable things.Here comes my question Who are the the source of this error ? We or the universe.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What would "the universe as source of uncertainty" (error is doing something wrong) mean?
I don't think it is useful to look for a source with those two categories.

There is some uncertainty due to limitations of our measuring devices. There is also Heisenberg's principle, but this is significant primarily at microscopic levels.

mfb said:
What would "the universe as source of uncertainty" (error is doing something wrong) mean?
Is there a body length of the exact number ? No, so there's uncertainty in measurement Here comes my question in universe there's exact length and we can't measure it exactly or there's no exactly measurement that's why we can't measure it.

I would say that people are 'in error' when they look for certainly in anything. It may be the fault of the Mathematics we have developed, which seems to indicate an absolute precision that doesn't really exist in the Universe.
How many beans make five?

I got it.I am agree with you.

Quarlep said:
Is there a body length of the exact number ? No, so there's uncertainty in measurement Here comes my question in universe there's exact length and we can't measure it exactly or there's no exactly measurement that's why we can't measure it.
There are no perfect rulers because there is no clear way to define where exactly objects end, and even if there would the length would constantly change back and forth a bit.

Related to Is there a definitive measurement in the universe?

1. What is uncertainty in length?

Uncertainty in length refers to the range of possible values that a measurement can have due to limitations in the measuring instrument or technique. It is the degree of doubt or error associated with a measurement.

2. How is uncertainty in length measured?

Uncertainty in length is typically measured by calculating the standard deviation of multiple repeated measurements. This provides a measure of the variability in the measured values and therefore the uncertainty in the final measurement.

3. What factors contribute to uncertainty in length?

There are several factors that can contribute to uncertainty in length, including the precision and accuracy of the measuring instrument, the skill of the person taking the measurement, environmental factors such as temperature and humidity, and the inherent variability of the object being measured.

4. How is uncertainty in length expressed?

Uncertainty in length is typically expressed as a range of values, such as 10.4 ± 0.2 cm. This indicates that the true value is likely to be within 0.2 cm of the measured value of 10.4 cm.

5. Why is it important to consider uncertainty in length?

Considering uncertainty in length is important because it provides a measure of the reliability and accuracy of a measurement. It also allows for proper interpretation and comparison of data, as measurements with larger uncertainties will have less precision and may not be as reliable for making conclusions or predictions.

Back