Is this proof of lim((2n)^(1/n)) = 1 correct?

• Thread starter Hodgey8806
  • Start date
In summary, the homework statement is that lim((2n)^(1/n)) = 1. The author is following an example from their book and is applying the Binomial Theorem to find the limit. They find that (2n)^(1/n) ≥ (1+Kn)^n and that 2n ≥ (1/2)n(n-1)(Kn)^2. They solve for Kn to get that Kn≤ 2/√n-1. This tells them that there is some Nε such that 2/√Nε-1 < ε. They then apply this to their proof and find that (2n)^(1/n) = 1
Hodgey8806

Homework Statement

I need to show the lim((2n)^(1/n)) = 1

Homework Equations

I will be using the definition of the limit as well as using the Binomial Theorem as an aide.

I am following an example from my book quite similar. So applying the Binomial Theorem to this problem, I will choose to write (2n)^(1/n) as 1 + Kn for some Kn > 0.

Raising both sides to the n power, we have 2n = (1 + Kn)^n ≥ 1 + (1/2)n(n-1)(Kn)^2
=> 2n ≥ (1/2)n(n-1)(Kn)^2
I will then solve for Kn to get that Kn≤ 2/√n-1

This tells us that there is some Nε such that 2/√Nε-1 < ε since ε>0 (By the Archimedean Property).

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, applying that to my proof, I have:
Let ε>0 be given.
0<(2n)^(1/n) -1 = (1 + Kn) -1 = Kn ≤ 2/√n-1 < ε
Since ε>0 is arbitrary, we can conclude that lim((2n)^(1/n)) = 1

I appreciate the help! I would like to know if this is mostly correct, and would like help in rewriting it to make it neater. Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your justification for beginning the way you do, by setting a complicated function like (2n)^(1/n) equal to a simple linear function like 1+Kn. After raising them both to the nth power, you can see even more clearly how unequal they are since then you have on the left the very slowly growing linear function 2n, and on the right an extremely rapidly growing function comparable to n^n, which is growing faster even than the exponential function e^n.

Your use of quantifiers (i.e. lack of them) is also quite unclear to me. Namely you choose several different quantities apparently independently but also in a combined way. I.e. I have trouble seeing when e>0 is chosen or given, and if it is given one should only choose N rather than Ne, and perhaps K rather than Kn.

In line 5, assertions such as (essentially) 2n ≥ (Kn)^2 should give pause, since the RHS is obviously much larger in general than the LHS. (Just try n = 3, 4, 5, ..., and K = 1.)

I would use l'Hopital's rule on a limit like this. Oddly enough, I do get the limit as 1. You should of course say where n is tending to before you can make sense of taking a limit. I.e. does n tend to infinity? I would start over, replace n by x, and look up l'Hopital's rule. Good luck.

Last edited:
What limit is this n->0 or 1 or what?

mathwonk said:
I don't understand your justification for beginning the way you do, by setting a complicated function like (2n)^(1/n) equal to a simple linear function like 1+Kn.

I think it is due to poster not using LaTeX

##(2n)^{1/n} = 1 + k_n## where ##k_n## is some real number ##k_1 = k_2 = 1##, ##k_3 = 6^{1/3}- 1##

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes mathwonk
Yes I think I understand what is going on now. K is chosen as a function of n as you suggest. Then for each n, there is a unique positive number K(n) such that (2n)^(1/n) = 1 + nK(n).
Then 2n = (1+nK(n))^n ≥ 1 + (nK(n))^2.(n)(n-1)/2, hence 2n-1 ≥ (nK(n))^2.(n)(n-1)/2.

Dividing by n(n-1)/2, we get (4n-2)/[(n)(n-1)] ≥ (nK(n))^2.

Since the LHS goes to zero as n --> infinity, so does the right side. Hence as n goes to infinity, so does nK(n). Hence 1+nK(n) = (2n)^(1/n) ---> 1.

(And if I had fully understood your remark I would have just taken K(n) so that (2n)^(1/n) = 1+K(n), and shown K(n)--->0. Having misunderstood the OP's notation, and trying to make sense of it as it was, I was mentally picturing a linear graph y = 1 + Kx, passing through (0,1) and intersecting the graph of y = (2x)^(1/x) above the point x = n.)

Last edited:
Likes malawi_glenn

FAQ: Is this proof of lim((2n)^(1/n)) = 1 correct?

1. What does the equation "lim((2n)&^(1/n)) = 1" mean?

The equation represents the limit of the sequence (2n)^(1/n) as n approaches infinity, which converges to a value of 1.

2. How is the limit of a sequence calculated?

The limit of a sequence is calculated by plugging in increasingly larger values of n and observing the resulting values of the sequence. If the values approach a specific number, then that number is the limit of the sequence.

3. Why is the limit of this sequence equal to 1?

This specific sequence follows the mathematical concept of a geometric sequence, where the ratio of each term to the previous term remains the same. As the value of n increases, the ratio approaches 1, leading to a limit of 1 for the entire sequence.

4. Can the limit of a sequence be any number?

No, the limit of a sequence can only be a single number or infinite (positive or negative). It cannot approach multiple numbers at the same time.

5. How is the limit of a sequence related to the concept of convergence?

The limit of a sequence is the value that the sequence approaches as n increases, and this is the definition of convergence. If a sequence has a limit, then it is considered a convergent sequence.

Back