Is β a Basis for F^n if Det(B) ≠ 0?

In summary: I.e., the determinant of B is nonzero.)In summary, we can conclude that if β is a basis for Fn, then det(B) \neq 0.
rubixcircle
Let β={u1, u2, ... , un} be a subset of F^n containing n distinct vectors and let B be an nxn matrix in F having uj as column j.

Prove that β is a basis for Fn if and only if det(B)≠0.

For one direction of the proof I discussed this with a peer:

Since β consists of n vectors, β is a basis if and only if these vectors are linearly independent, which is equivalent to the map L_B being one-to-one. Since the matrix B is square, this is in turn equivalent to B being invertible, hence having a nonzero determinant.

However I do not understand the transition from the vectors being linearly independent to being one to one. Why is this true? Also, how do I prove the reverse direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
rubixcircle said:
Let β={u1, u2, ... , un} be a subset of F^n containing n distinct vectors and let B be an nxn matrix in F having uj as column j.

Prove that β is a basis for Fn if and only if det(B)≠0.

For one direction of the proof I discussed this with a peer:

Since β consists of n vectors, β is a basis if and only if these vectors are linearly independent, which is equivalent to the map L_B being one-to-one. Since the matrix B is square, this is in turn equivalent to B being invertible, hence having a nonzero determinant.

However I do not understand the transition from the vectors being linearly independent to being one to one. Why is this true? Also, how do I prove the reverse direction?

To answer your first question, β is assumed to be a basis for Fn, and the matrix B = [(u1) (u2) (u3) ... (un)] has as its columns the vectors in β.

Let c be a row vector of scalars, {c1, c2, ..., cn}, and consider the equation Bc = 0.

Since β is a basis (by assumption) of an n-dimensional space, its n vectors must be linearly independent, so the only solution to the equation Bc = 0 is c [itex]\equiv[/itex] 0. (I.e., c1 = 0, c2 = 0, ..., cn = 0.)

From this, we see that ker(B) = {0}, and since B represents a map from Fn to Fn, B must be invertible, so |B| [itex]\neq[/itex] 0.

Related to Is β a Basis for F^n if Det(B) ≠ 0?

1. What is the basis of a vector space?

The basis of a vector space is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to represent all other vectors in the space through linear combinations.

2. How is the basis of a vector space related to the dimension of the space?

The number of vectors in a basis of a vector space is equal to the dimension of the space.

3. What is a determinant?

A determinant is a numerical value associated with a square matrix that can be used to determine the invertibility of the matrix and the scaling factor of the transformation represented by the matrix.

4. How is the determinant of a matrix calculated?

The determinant of a matrix can be calculated using various methods, such as the cofactor expansion method or the row reduction method.

5. What is the relationship between basis and determinant in linear algebra?

The basis vectors of a vector space can be used to construct a basis matrix, and the determinant of this matrix is equal to the determinant of the original matrix. This relationship can be used to prove the existence of a basis for any vector space.